Ride-on-Spreader spray question?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rob1325, Apr 22, 2003.

1. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

My ride on doesn't spray wide enough. Should I change the generator or pump. I also hear to replace nozzles.

Thanks

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

How wide does it spray? Give us more info as to machine, current nozzles, pump etc.

3. rob1325

I have the older style but with all upgrades. But I still use the older style nozzles, for the longer coverage. I cleaned out the nozzles and it still only sprays maybe five to six feet wide. Also, now my pump works on and off. Some times it works when I press button and sometimes it doesn't. I called perma green today and ordered new pump and nozzles, and spare generator. When I get them I will change and see how that works.

Thanks

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

My pump burned out last week after several years of faithful service. Lots of short burst spot sprays and hours of continuous spraying. Mine is about 3 yr old. In diagnosing my problem I found a bunch of extra electrical connections that tie in with the safety nuetral switch that I didn't even realize were there. Lots of corrosion that could have been prevented if I knew that stuff was hiding under the machine in the first place. I have a special electrolytic grease that I can use on electrical connections that keeps corrosion at bay. These type of machines used around fertilizer need to be treated like a boat kept in a salt water marine enviroment. Anything available at marine outlets for corrosion or sealing connections should be used on fert machines.

Take the time to go over your electrical connections and wiring when installing the new products.

5. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello rob1235,

Correct me if I'm wrong...
    But with the 1/2 pass method. that Perma-green recommends... If the Fert. is spreading at a width of 11-12 feet...
    Shouldn't the Weed control spread only be 5-6 feet.
    Or else you would be double dosing and burning the turf.

At least that how mine works.. .I have the old and new models

Bryan

6. rob1325

Well I know the over lapping method. I had this machine for 4 years now and know how it used to spray much further. The spray only goes 6" to 12" past each side of the tires on the machine. So something is definately not working properly. Like I said be for I order generator, new pump and nozzles. Machine has abot 500 Hrs now. When I replace everything I will let you know my results. HBFOXJr, you are so right on corrosion. My uncle is a marine mechanic and he gave me some stuff he uses for wires, something called liquid tape but for marine use. Every year I go over machine in fall and reapply where needed. also put that electriacal grease on the plugs. Thansk again

Rob

7. rob1325

I replaced the pump and nozzles and works great know. Thanks for the help.

Rob