Ride on spreader/sprayer question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Decali, May 17, 2004.

1. Decali

Decali LawnSite Member

I would like to make the leap to an easier system for applications and a ride on seems to be the answer. My concern is that I don't want to have to completely change my program or products in order to accomplish this.

Can liquid preemergent products (specifically pendimethalin and simizine) be sprayed without phytotoxicity, staining, or damage to the pump.

I know that granular products are an option but I'm dealing with warm season grasses that don't need fertilization during some of the times my preemergents are applied.

Also, can ester and amine 2 and 3 way products be used without damage to turf. For some reason I'm just not comfortable with the high concentration of a.i. with the low volume sprayers.

2. billyc

billyc LawnSite Member
    from ohio

If you are going to spray wetable powders, you need to look at a Z-Spray. We swithed from the perma green and my only regret is we did'nt do it sooner. A lot more capacity and versitility in the spray system. The thing is built like a tank.
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

The amount of water as a carrier is a issue with some material when considering these low volume sprayer spreaders.

I think as these machines get more popular the chemical companies will change their labels and rates.

I think it comes down to a trial and error with deciding on how well some products work,

Example would be Acclaim extra, A whole bunch of people told me " don't spray it through the PG, way to little water as a carrier, it wont work and will be a waste of money"

Well I ignored the advise and did it anyway, it works great, I get awesome results with the machine.

All I've sprayed with mine is confront, and acclaim and I get awesome results from those 2 products.

GREEN OASIS LawnSite Member

i know that crabgrass season is coming up and i would like to find out who has had good success with drive and what types of rates they are using in the permagreen unit / which nozzles you are using is required information to follow rates advise
    i hydroseed lawns all year long but know that most lawns from may 1 to july 1 st will have lots of crabgrass in them and plan on spraying quite a few of them with drive....
    i want to start using the pg to do so >>>>
  5. I have been spraying speedzone out of my PG, and I think I had better results when I sprayed by hand.

Has anyone else seen a difference between spraying by hand at a higher volume, and the low volume PG approach.

And since I know I will be asked, the sprayer is properly calibrated, and the mix is 1.4 oz/1000 sq/ft, with no spreader sticker.
  6. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I use 1 oz of speedzone per k with a spreader sticker and have had the same results as a backpack. Try using a sticker and that should help a lot. The only area I have problems with are the first two inches right along the curbline. I use the hand bottle there.

I sprayed pendimethalin and dimension out of my PG this year with no problems. I will probably switch to all granular next year though.
  7. "I use 1 oz of speedzone per k with a spreader sticker and have had the same results as a backpack."

Cool, do you use the regular Lesco spreader sticker?

8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

i have not used speedzone, but I get awsome results with confront out of my pg, I mix .74 oz per K,

I assume you guys are spraying speedzone in cool season turf?

Is it a 2,4-d product?

Whats your target weed?

I just started today with bent grass select, cost is way cheaper then confront, hopefully it works, that is mixed at 1.5oz per K

I never considered using a sticker with my machine just cause its such a small dropplet size, dosnt seem like it would need it.
  9. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

we have had problems with pluged up jet tees when we have added sticker into the PG...not so much the day its mixed, but the following day. just seems to gum-up
  10. Speedzone is labeled for use up to 90 degree's, and for the very low volume rates the PG sprays. I was planning on using it as my primary weed control product for the season.

It does have 2, 4-D in it, as well as MCPP and Dicamba and Carfentrazone. The product is fast acting and is allegedly low oder.

My personal target weed are all the usual suspects, everything from Black Medic to Wild Violets. Speedzone claims to knock violets out.