1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ride on Spreader-Sprayer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by SDLandscapes VT, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

We have a fairly successful plant health care division of our landscaping company and have since the beginning used a two man system--one pushing spreader and one spraying. This worked because we didn't have a high volume of PHC clients as we limited our PHC services to only those clients who purchased or regular landscape maintenance services--we wanted to control all the variables--water, mowing, weed control, fertility etc. Now we are expanding our business and see the easy up-scaling aspect of our PHC services. I also am short handed and really would like to only have to use one applicator--days get really long when you push spreader and lug hose.

So I m in the beginning stages of research to look at a ride on spreader/sprayer unit.

In past lives I have experience with the older two generations of the permagreen and the old generation of the CS turf stealth unit (before it was stealthy). I wasn't in love with either of them--of the two I would choose the permagreen. I have a friend/competitor in town who has all three generations and he really isn't in love with the Triumph model.

We fertilize a wide variety of properties--all granular fertilizers, and mostly spot treatment of weeds unless it is a new to us client. Most of our clients have elaborate landscapes that I would be hesitant to spray around with a machine (close quarters, wind drift w/ low volume spray etc)

Average property size 17K to 20K square feet with a several over the acre mark.

Maneuverability, ease of load/unload, hill stability (we are in northern Vermont), longevity, ease of maintenance and availability of parts, and ease of operation.

I read the old thread on the Zspray and the t3000 and I don't need this to turn into a pissing match, but I do need to hear from users what is working and what isn't working--every machine has pluses and minuses--I just want to learn from your experience going into this.

2. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

Im looking to buy my first ride on, no experience with any brand.
    I am inclined to go with the z spray, mainly because my John deere/ Lesco. dealer carries them and I do know someone in the biz that is currently using one and has used Permagreens in the past.
    Likes the Z spray better but, still uses the PG Magnum on hilly properties.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I have a T3000 and love it I can do all sizes of properties with it.

I really like the fact that I can use a carrier rack it make my outfit compact.

I have not had any problems with it pretty much just belts and up graded the pump. I have broke some thing

Very very good on hills spreads nice and no boom to get in the way. Great weed kill

I think it would be nice to have more power for going up hills but I realize it was designed for easy operation.

I really can't think of any bad things there are always thing that you would change . I am going to up grade to the new foot pedal

I would be glad to answer any ?

You need to find 1 of each to try or go to the GIE show

Charles Cue

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Why won't your friend use his Z on hill sides I have heard that a Z is better on hills than a permagreen .

I can tell you a permagreen wont go where my T will go

Charles Cue
  5. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes why will your friend not put his Z on a hill? I own both a Z-Spray and a Permagreen. I will put the Z on any hill before the Permagreen, Z -Sprays have no more trouble with hills then any other ride-on in the market.
  6. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

I am really not sure why he has a preferance for the Magnum over the Z on hills.
    He says that even when he locks in the casters the Mag is more stable.
    We are talking Hills, Not gentile slopes.
  7. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I've got the Zspray intermediate and absolutely enjoy using it every time I'm on it. I service properties from 10k up to 240k. If you don't have anyone in your area that has one and your interested in taking it for a spin, I would be more than happy to assist you. :drinkup:
  8. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a t bought in used this season it does a good job. I have the same problems with it as que does that and I hate the hose end needs a longer reel. Also the back end will slip turning up hill I have burned a place but know I'm a little quicker to turn sprayer off.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We upgraded our T3000's with the new pump & go pedal. No other unit can compete with the T3000. We used PG's in the past. Demoed Z-Sprays (all sizes) several times. Demoed the Ground Logic too.

With the T3000, you get the best of both worlds. I won't bore you with the many reasons. There are over 3 dozen T3000's in my town. Way more than any other stand-on sprayer/spreader.

I saw the first Z-Spray today in weeks. Once in a awhile I'll see a PG Magnum.

Our local Scotts Lawn Care had exclusively run Ground Logic units for years, but now I see they're running T3000 units.

Final note: The only stand-on sprayer/spreader you will not see for sale on ebay = TURFCO's T3000.

p.s. We treat a 20 acre cemetery that will only allow a T3000 to treat it, and their reasons are valid.
  10. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member