Ride-On Spreader-Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sgtm, Apr 8, 2003.

1. sgtm

sgtm LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a ride-on spreader-sprayer (lesco). I am concerned about the high concentrated droplets that are put out by the flood jet tips, staining driveways or making contact with trees or shrubs. For those of you who use or have used this type of equipment how do you trim next to non targeted areas. Are granular herbicides used? Some herbicides that I like to use the labeling states "do not use control droplet equipment" or "do not use flood tip nozzles".

I am aware this type of equipment is effective, because my father used a company that treated his yard for three years and the yard was weed free next to flower beds, trees and driveways. They did not use backpack sprayer to trim.

So, what are you using (herbicides) and how do you become so precise with the trimming.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

you can turn off the jets on one side of the machine. so when trimming you put down the fert sheild and turn off the jet tees on that side as well.

any '3 way' herbicide will do. we use mec amine D from UHS, sometimes we use lesco's 3 way and sometimes we use lescos momentum. Have never had issues with these products.

3. Lawn Solutions

Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I just purchased one a few months ago and have used a dozen times or so.

You will have to pay close attention to positioning the nozzels and calibrating, both are not to difficult if you follow the manual.
    My nozzels were out of position but I repositioned them by
    spaying water out on concrete to see the spray pattern. Then by
    turning off the right side nozzle you can see how far to the right
    spray is going from the left nozzle (and see how close you can
    get to ornemental beds)

you also get a little spray bottle with a nozzle which can be filled from tank on ultra. I hate to admit it but I think it works pretty good on windy days spot spraying close to flower beds, shrubs,
    etc., then jumping on ultra to handle large areas.

Purchase direct from Perma-green and you pay no sales tax and
    they had free shipping.

I have been using Lesco Momentum and seems to work fine.

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I start with one side of the machine right on the bed edge. Idon't turn on spray till 1 pass out in the lawn at least. Sometimes I just run the spray with both nozzles on out far enough from the bed to leave the last foot untreated. Use the spray bottle as needed. It's beautiful. I'm styill spraying at the 1 pt +/k volume with zero problems. The new machines are nozzled at 32 oz/K I think. Don't worry and use a sticker spreader. It is no more dangerous than any other handling of weed control and actually more effective. Drift of the course drops, low nozzle height and low pressure is almost nil under even light breezes.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Harold,
    32 oz. per K is correct for the newer PermaGreen. I bought one last spring and love it !!! Do you use the bottom nozzles in high gear? I switched my top nozzles to the bottom and spray with the bottom nozzles in high gear. I have very little blow back, and the weed control has been fantastic. It looks like they did away with the top nozzles on the new Ultra, and have both nozzles on the bottom now. :) ;) :) ED

6. I am still up in the air on the PG unit for spraying.

Put ruffly 400gal of spray through it so for this week, and I have to wait to see the results.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost 2 million square ft.. Boy you were busy this past week. Post your weed control results when you get a chance. What herbicide did you use ???? :) ;) :) ED

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

sgtm.

Do your search on here about them. I asked some questions about them a couple of months back and there was a lot of good info in that thread. There have been other good threads on the ride on sprayers to.