1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ride-On Tractors

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by bkdlawnCo, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many of you guys use ride on tractors in business...something like a Cub Cadet or a John Deere?
  2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

One of my buddy's use's two JD 755's. He does alot of country lots. :)
  3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We have two that we use regularly, we have to because of some of our steep terrain. But I like ZTRs better.
  4. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

trying to post picture of some lawns i cut with my cub1[​IMG]
  5. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

for steep properties you would recommend a ride on tractor? why?
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I use lawn tractors too. I use them for hills and areas that are unsafe for the ZTR's. Or on hills that challenge the ZTR's on wet days. Or to alternate cutting patterns on hills I can only cut in certain directions with the ZTR's. They also come in handy for some of the very tender lawns in this area, such as shady lawns with tender grasses and naturally soft organic soils. Cutting these with ZTR's is like being on eggshells the whole time because you are not going to finish without tearing somewhere... I don;t care how good and how careful you are.

They also do all my chores such as towing, ect...

Lawn tractors certainly have their positives, their places and their uses.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a little John Deere 212 that I use for rototilling and pulling stuff - that's about it. It just doesn't get used for mowing anymore. I would LOVE to get a little bigger tractor someday with a bucket on the front. That is one of my goals.
  8. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Where are the strips? :laugh:
  9. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Here is some stripes done with my ride on tractor. JD 325 with custom stripe attachment. This was done in a hurry as to beat the weather. I would like to get a WB that can lay down stripes like this. Still trying to figure out which one to get. Going diagonal is a real PITA with the tractor. Will post a better photo when I get one. Enjoy!

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a 1999 John Deere GT-235 for mowing, a 1965 Allis Chalmers Big Ten for grading (hopefully soon to be traded for a '74 Cub 149 w/hydrolift and plows), a '69 Cub 73 for pulling the trailer in and out of tight spots for bush trimming and other tight areas, and a 1977 John Deere 300 which I am rebuilding the engine in, I plan to find a good 48" deck and put it to work as soon as the engine is put back in and I give her a shot of paint.

No ZTR's here.

Just say NO to Craftsman, Murray, and MTD. :cool: