"ride-on" transaxle fluid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Dec 7, 2010.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

:confused: What do you guys use for tranny oil? How often do you change the tranny oil/filter?

We are guilty of not changing the hydrostatic oil often enough (according to the manual). When we did, we used "John Deere" hydrostatic (transaxle) oil.

Our ride-on owners manual suggests 20W-50 oil. Is this the same as most other manufacturer's recommendations regarding transaxle/hydrostatic fluids?

If so, I plan to use "full-synthetic 20W-50 motor oil" from now on. Is there a difference between 20W-50 motor oil and hydraulic fluid? Are synthetic oils bad for transaxles?

rscvp, thanks

p.s. Mowers too

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I dont have all your answers except motor oil and hydraulic fluids are different things........here is a quick answer to that part of your question http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_hydraulic_oil_and_engine_oil

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think there is much difference between motor oil and hyd oil.

Mostly it would be additives that they put in the oils because of the uses.

Oil would be a hyd oil in a motor to keep engine parts from touching each other like / hyd lifters / hyd timing chain or belt tension.

Charles Cue

4. fl-landscapes

I think hydraulic fluid doesnt compress like motor oil and likely has an effect on performance of hydraulics

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

If it helps mower mfg's (scag/hustler/etc) call for 20/50 motor oil also. I just use napa oil and change it when it smells burnt or yearly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. fl-landscapes

In the hydro's?? odd but I just googled and found it appears to be ok. Wierd.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. djagusch

from MN

Yes for the hydro system. Engines are 30wt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. fl-landscapes

wierd, just googled it and guess its ok.......why do they make hydro fluid is my question then.

9. djagusch

from MN

My guess is it helps lube the wheel motors and compression isn't the main issue. Plows/skidsteers/etc use hydro fluid. Basically stuff with lift,ram cylinders so compression is the main thing they are stopping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Motor oil doen't compress or it wouldn't work on things like hyd lifters in your engine. Oil pressure is what keeps your rods from knocking in your engine.

Charles Cue