1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ride-on wish list

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

New ride ons are beginning to become old news.. the same old companies are making the same old ride-ons and the new companies are pretty much copying them..

This thread is just for fun.. but I wonder what everyone else would consider their 'dream machine'??

for me it would have a diesel power source with hydro-static drive, and automatically calibrate application based on ground speed. It would need GPS guidence. It would need to fit in nearly any gate, and be light enough to be put on a floating hitch trailer. It needs a 50 ft hose reel for areas that cannot be gotten at otherwise.. It needs enough capacity to cover an acre without refilling. all non-drivetrain parts need to be simple, durable, and user replacable in the field. It needs to operate on a decent slope. I would like it to have a hitch point, and an attachment point on the frond of the machine for anything from a wench to lights, to shielded sprayer wings.. If it could have that diesel engine power a PTO for aerators, and seeders.. that would be the coolest thing ever. :)

Ok.. There's my dream machine... I think it could be done.. maybe with the exception of size, and weight....

what's yours?

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine would be anything that would hold hills better than my permagreen. Easier to open and close the spreader controls. Rear wheel drive. Better spraying pattern. Just off the top off my head. Oh and a capability to have a hose reel for spraying hard areas.

3. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Not my dream machine. But one thing I would like on a P.G. is a push button posi traction transmission.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How bout it!

5. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

:laugh: STICKER SHOCK!

6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Gas or diesel is ok, actually prefer gas. I don't think the extra pricing in the end is worth it really for the diesel. Harder starting on cold days, heavier battery to get it started. Higher fuel at the pump, engine will out last the machine.

A lot of the things you listed would be really nice, but some I think are more costly then the benefit. Here is what i think it MUST have.

4 wheel drive
    4 wheel steering
    15 to 20 gallon tank
    hose reel
    ground speed matched spray out put
    fits through 32 inch gates (no more then 34" wide)

I built a HPS boom sprayer this year. Works dam good actually. 15 gallon tank, 8 foot booms, 100 foot spring loaded retractable hose reel, both booms can be turned off individually, booms fold up. Currently applying 1 gallon per 1,000 sq ft.

7. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Was thinking about starting a thread like this.

I would like a cab on this machine with am/fm stereo, climate control and auto steer with the gps guidance. The most comfortable seat you can find with arm rests. Automatic weed sensors to only spot treat weeds as needed. A self washing systemm would be nice also.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see a wider spread pattern on my PG. Seems that I'm not spreading much wider than when I push my Lesco spreader?

Also would like more speed. Ditch low gear. Have a normal (what D is now) and have a fast gear. Maybe even a third gear for transport.

I really don't have the need for a 50' or (yikes...100') hose, but a tightly coiled expanding hose of say 10-15' would be nice. But then, I'm OK using the squeeze bottle.

9. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Defineately a self calabrating machine that the flow of spread/spray matches the ground speed.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

have to have a moron repellent option so the morons would leave me alone