Lawn Care Forum banner

ride-on

6K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  ant 
#1 ·
We can run our Z-Spray spray system up to a 1 gallon per 1000 and it has agitation. The boom is also in 3 sections and their tips are a lot lower drift than our ride-on's. A big difference is the manuverability. Our z-spray goes places that out ride-on's can't and they don't wear you out trying to drive it. The ride-on is a good machine for what it is but in my opinion the z-spray is a lot more of a commercial machine. They do have a web site.
z-spray.com I think.

#3 ·
Andy, i got a question for you....

first let me tell you we have Perma greens, not thrilled with them, so we're thinking Z-spray for this coming season.

Now my question. You say the Z is more manuverable?? Does the spray boom not affect manuverability??

thats the one thing that is making me delay buying one, i'm concerned the boom will be a pain in the neck....but i take it that you dont think it is a pain?

I no nothing about Z other than what i've read in here and on their web site. I did get a price list, yeah there much higher than PG, but, like you have mentioned, the PG will wear you out a bit operating it and it aint all that dependable. Somebody wrote (may have been you) that they could build another unit with all the extra parts they have had to order...lol...yeah, i can relate to that!
The Z aerator looks very cool, have you operated the aerator?

thanks for your input

#4 ·
KLR

The boom is a breakaway spring loaded boom and it is not affected at all. I was also worried about a boom but they told me at the factory they would put any type tip arrangment on that I wanted. I was told they do a lot of custom work to suit different needs. I will say they were very easy to work with and there references said they really support the product. I have not needed any yet.

#5 ·
Originally posted by ANDY-W
We can run our Z-Spray spray system up to a 1 gallon per 1000 and it has agitation. The boom is also in 3 sections and their tips are a lot lower drift than our ride-on's. A big difference is the manuverability. Our z-spray goes places that out ride-on's can't and they don't wear you out trying to drive it. The ride-on is a good machine for what it is but in my opinion the z-spray is a lot more of a commercial machine. They do have a web site.
z-spray.com I think.
Wrong the new Z-sprays have a Auquatec 5.3 gpm pumps but you can run the old ones up to 5gal per 1000 wiht the flowjet 4300. Open flow of couse but 4gpm is easily done.

The Perma Green have lower set spray tips if you only use the lower mounted ones. Second the Z-Spray and PG used to use the same spray tips if Z-Spray is still using the AI tips. Otherwise you have no clue to what you are saying since both spray rigs use the same MFG for many of the spray componates. Now with those AI tips have fun unclogging them.

Tee-Jet.

Also the Perma Green is Half the price of the full sized Z-Spray, and 2 different leauges of ride-ons same with the JR Z-Spray.

I did see on the web site that they now make both models with the same spray rates.

Before you put something down get the facts straight.

Z-Srap had a few advantages over the PG unit.;

1) does not run off of engine speed.

2) ZTR manuverablility.

3) Carry large amount of fert product.

That's all I was able to see.

PG unit over the Z-Spray

1) all stainless steel.

2) no hydro units to replace carring all the added on stuff, It all adds up. 20 gal of liquid 167#, 250# of fert, operator weight 180#, machine weight 640#. Damn 1237#. Lots of weight.

3) Cost of repairs are far less due to less parts that need to be replaced.

4) price

5) BOOMLESS

These we my desision makers in no order.

#6 ·
Lawngodfather, you sound like your very impressed with your PG. If your interested, i'll give you a good deal on 2 PGs, both with around 300 hrs each. (by the way, there both 3 years old, goes to show you how much we dont like using them)
I recieved some literature on the Z, looks like their new models are stainless steel

boom worries me, however PG states their machine will spray a 9-10 foot pattern (in their dreams!)

PG has very inconsistant ground speed which = stipped lawns

I've talked with Tom many times (owner PG) I tell him i see the potential for a great machine. He says, yes, we're working on that, we know there are flaws. My point....sell me your machine AFTER you work out the flaws, not before. Well, he says, the new ultra is one that i will love....i ask him if i can do a trade in...he says, nope, but you can sell your older models on PG's web site. I think hmmmm.... he wont do a trade in? even he doesnt want these things?

Hey, i dont know, i'm just tryin to make my life easier, ya know?
The Z looks like a better machine, and i guess the old saying is true? "you get what you pay for?"

Will see

#7 ·
I still have the luxery of my DC fert n spray rig.

I am not totally impressed, just don't put the machine down with incorrect info.

I still have some hours left to decide.

For striped lawns.....How ar you striping lawn?

I have done that once and it was a large open area.

Striped lawns come from not varying you application pattern, and under feeding the lawn.

#8 ·
Hey Lawn God.

If you are happy with perma green power to you. In our operation we don't have the time to engineer someone else's product for them. That is why we went to the Z-Spray. P/G just needs to build something that doesn't look and operate like it was built in my garage. At $4,400.00 it is extremely overpriced. Also, the flowjet pump on the Z-Spray puts out 4.9 gpm at 0 psi. Not at 45 psi. Do the math.

#10 ·
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Open flow of couse but 4gpm is easily done.
Hey buddy "READ" next time. That pump will put out more if you hook to you car. 13.8 volts will change that. 4.9 gpm at 12 volt but what charging system put out exactly 12. Flojet calls it a 5gpm pump. 4300

Also I can get 4gpm or even 4gal per 1000 at 30 psi on my 4300 no problem.

You getting into an arguement with the wrong person.

You're putting down the machine with assumtions.

I am just happy right now, not impresed.

Now what are all the things that are going wrong?

#14 ·
Stripping, no way it is a machine problem. The PG throws 14ft wide (7' left and right of center). Instructions are to run a pattern 7' on center delivering 100% overlap. You can see the product dropping between the previous passes wheel tracks wehen you doing it right.

Uneven coverage could be maintanance, set up or operation issues. Lumps in the hopper restricting part of the gate opening, gate not set to center the pattern, bearing or belt problems causing rotation problems on the spinner shaft, poor distance control between passes, gate not opening freely and fully each time.

I find nothing wrong with my ground speed. If there is on the PG something needs maintenance like clutch, belt, govenor on engine etc. Mine maintains engine speed no matter what and only wet turf on hills or other poor traction conditions slow me down.

We've replaced the clutch (broken spring & repairable), belts (general maint), spinner plate ( lime eats them up along with tons of fert) and now a jackshaft pulley set up which has been improved. All easy and releatively inexpensive.

These machines in larger operations take a pounding and the fert world is an extremely hostile environment. That quickly takes its toll on equipment it is used with. The fert world is equal to the salt water marine world or highway equipment that spreads lots of salt.

Take a look at the truck frames, springs, brake housings and line fittings and body components up close some time. This ain't lawn cutting and string trimming or seeding and aerating.

I still don't care if the booms are break away I don't want comtaminated stuff swinging over and through foliage or banging into somebodys car, house, gutter or snaggin in a chain link fence etc. Booms are for bigger, open jobs. They have a place.

Hey fert world, some of us have concerns with gates to go through and the PG fits as does the little Z I believe. And I run my PG on ANY lawn I can fit it on, 3k, 4k whatever. I'm not pushing.

Front spray is not a problem either. The drops are large and low and only inches off the ground at low psi. There is no blow back.

And as I've written before there are many different job requirements around the country as well as in even one companies work load so several different machines ALL have a place.

#15 ·
:cool: I've been researching both units for a while now. I've decided to go with the z spray unit. It just seams like a stronger built unit. Better control of the machine more manuerverable. Looks like it's more like a commercial unit built to last. I will say the one thing that bothered me was the boom. But with the break away action I think it will work out well. With bigger tanks 40 gallons total and a 225 lb granular hopper I won't need to reload as often. The ztr controls will be lots easier on the old body and the 17 hp engine should outlast and out perform the 6.5 hp engine that the ride on has. The cost is almost double but if I order before Febuary first I get a $1100.00 discount.

Rick A - Z Lawn Care

#16 ·
Seems like many of you guys have lot's of exp. with pg's. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and when I got it , it has the electric start and the battery was dead, so I started it manually ran it around a bit and the engine was missing real bad, figured if I ran it a while it might smooth out. I put some water and dye in spray tank to check out sprayer and to my suprise it did not work, sprayer runs off same battery that was dead and to top off everything I left it sitting over-nite and next day notice tank is leaking. So I call and tell them the problems and within 2 day's they send a new machine and so far no problems but im concerned because we just got our spray lic. and this 1st. year we were planning on this being our primary spray source!!

Any and all advice would be appreciated!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Rick,

Since we own both machines, PG and Z-SPRAY, I have to say you made the right choice. We got one of their first stainless steel units in the fall and it has been an unbelivable machine. My guys were fighting over who would get to use it. We are buying another Z-Spray this spring and phasing out our PG.

#19 ·
2 transmissions
3 alternators
5 pumps
wheel bearings and assorted bearings (so many I lost count)
cables
rebuilt carbs at least 3 times
switched one engine over to Kawasaki (worked well)
The list goes on.
PG is a great machine for a mowing company that does a little fertilization on the side.

#20 ·
On the pgu they are advertising 11 foot spray span has anyone found this to be true, and I was told there were several pre-emergents that you could not spray in this set up, could someone please give me some more info on this machine. I'm sure the z-spray is a better machine should be for what it cost, so would you guys please stop bikering about it and give me some advice on the perma-green... LoL

#22 ·
I'ts in the pgu manual, "The grey pair of nozzles spray 11 feet wide and appx. 30 ounces per 1000 sq ft in high gear." and it says the same for the red in low gear. I have no idea why the first machine did not work, they have not picked it up yet! Believe me im hoping you guys can give me some advice, I had heard that this was an awesome machine. Why cant you spray pre's, keep in mind im new to the herbi bus, any advice you have Im sure I could use it. Thanks!!!

#23 ·
There are a lot of products you can't use in them because they don't have the correct ratio of water for a carrier. If you are applying it wrong you will then be breaking the lawn and applying chemicals to hot/to strong.

these machines use more concentrated chemicals. These are not the 2gal per 1000 hose method you and the industry was built on.

Takes time to get used to how they work.

Also liquid pre-em costs much more than a 5-5-20-13% dim. blend I have been using

You must have a new one with the green spreader. Is it an "Ultra" or "Centri"?

#24 ·
It's an ultra, and the second one they sent out I have had no problems with seems to be a sweet machine I just have to learn how to maximize it's abilities. Where is your business and what types of grasses do you primarily treat, wondering if you could help me out with a program using the pgu?

#26 ·
is there any way to set up the z-spray machine so that it will spray at the 2 gal per 1000 sq ft like we do with our hose unit, I realize that you are limited to the number of gallons you can carry but most of our properties are less than 15000 sq ft and I would have no problem carrying a nurse tank on the truck to refill. Really impressed with the look of the z-spray aerator, thought I might buy that and then set up a spray system of my own that would allow me to get double use out of the machine. I do not have any experience at all with the ride on,are electric pumps the only way to go with these or does the honda engine/ hypro pump make any sense at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.