1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rider insight

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jim75, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Jim75

Jim75 LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner, a little older,and overweight. I had a Dixon 42 inch ztr until two years ago, until I realized how much I was paying for maintenance. Adjustments needed to be made by the dealer, with special tools. Spending 250-300 a year for suggested maintenance. Anyway, I had a chance to sell for a fair price and I took it. I bought a Toro personal pace mower. I figured the exercise would be good for me. To be honest, the uneven terrain and the up and down grades on my yard just exhausted me. I'm now looking for a rider. I have looked at a small Kobota rider (didn't like), a new model Scag-I forget the model, but about $5000, and a JD300x. The Scag 48 inch is too big for my gate, and the 36 inch had really narrow tires. The ride was good, as was the feel. Saw the JD300x today, and can get it with a 38 inch mower deck and the price was more agreeable-about 2800. I had a few oops moments with the Dixon; that is slipping on slippery terrain, and I popped the front end off the ground a few times. Easy way to get more gray hair. The Dixon was the old cone style. I think most of the newer ztr's are a hydrostatic drive. My concern with the JD is that it will take longer to mow my yard, which by the way isn't that large. Could easily mow it in 30 minutes with the Dixon. Are there other suggestions you could make, or insights? Thanks!

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta go with what you're most comfortable with. If it takes you longer to mow with a certain mower, but you feel more in control - I'd go with the slower mower.
  3. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Welcome to Lawnsite! I'm also a homeowner - joined around 2000 when I was considering my mowing options for my newly purchased 1.5 acres. You will find LOTS of valuable information here, and LOTS of strong opinions, but for this sort of question you'll ultimately have to make your own decision. I'm currently trying to decide between a commercial grade walk-behind (probably Quick 44 by Better Outdoor Products) or a ZTR rider. Problem with the rider is that I want commercial grade (I like a mower that will last) but I don't have a commercial grade budget.... I'm mulling over all of the really great info that is available here, and I am confident that my decision whatever it is, will be an informed one.
  4. MJS

Yes, I should have said that as well. It's great to look around and get advice from others, but if you took everybody's advice, you'd never come to a comclusion on anything. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your mower decision. :weightlifter:
  5. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of people with gate issues have bought the Huster Mini Fastrak 36" and 42".. It is a great machine but a bit on the smaller side but, I am 6'1 and 270-280 lbs (I gained 40lbs this year) but I am still very comfortable. Check it out..
  6. lawnmon

lawnmon LawnSite Member

Check out Simplicity, Massey Furgeson, or AGCO. They are all dealer only mowers with their entry level mowers still having great quality.
  7. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

In 2002 I bought a small snapper (32" cut I think) ZTR for my one acre yard. I disliked this mower for one primary reason - the ride killed me. So I thought to myself what would ride better? In spring 06 I bought a JD LT 160.

Althought the JD did give a smooth ride and has a very tight turning radius for a lawn tractor I found it taking my 30 minutes longer to mow my yard and this was with a larger (42") deck.

Fast forward to today. Last week I purchased a "semi commercial" ZTR with larger tires and a 54" deck. I expect it will cut my mow time to close to half compared to the JD. I am concerned about the ride but time is important and hopefully the bigger tires will help.

Anyhow, I just wanted to point out that I had a ZTR, went to a lawn tractor, and am back to a ZTR. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and I wish I would have just gotten a larger ZTR in 06.

BTW, my yard is just over an acre with around 30 trees, and a few obstacles (kids stuff). Took me 1.5 hours to mow with the LT 160 and I am thinking about 45 minutes with the ZTR haven't tried it out yet.
  8. Jim75

Jim75 LawnSite Member

Decision made, unit bought. Thanks everyone for your insight. I just got back from the John Deere dealer. Decided on a X304. Hadn't looked at it before, but it is the same as the X300, except it has 4 wheel steering. Took it out for a test drive and liked it. After my wife drove it, she said this is the one! Seems like the best for our needs, closer to the ztr in turning radius and I think it will be easier, or at least more comfortable to me, to control on all the ups and downs on the property. It'll be delivered on Friday. Can't wait.

9. MJS

Congratulations on the purchase! I hope it works out for you.