rider on residential lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Mar 29, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently using a 48 scag rider tc on my lawns now. I do some small commercial. I am looking at a lot more residential work this year along with what i have. Most of my lawns are about 1/4 acre. I dont have too many complains like 2 out of 90 accounts that the guy was going to fast, I have been lookin at the exmark xs and that thing flies and is bigger then the cub. I dont know if its a good idea to do that. put it this way is it better to have 2 gys wit a nice big rider and a guy wiping and edging or have 2 guys with 2 48 walk behinds? I dont know whats best. Do you think people complain with the stander on walk behinds. Thanks guys someone please help me out here caus ei dont wanna make a bad choice. ( the 2 big companies around here use 2-3 guys with 2 walk behinds).
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

About 90% of estimates I do ask this question 1st above all else. "Do you guys use those big riding mowers?" Residential clients hate riders and I will guess that they may be the cause of many people changing lawn companies so much. I try to use a w/b mower whenever possible. I never get complaints from a w/b, even with a sulky. I do use the riders on some larger estates ect., but they have to be over 10,000 sq ft.
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

MOve to FLorida! If they complain about Z's on their yard they are out the door. Down here people just accept it as part of the deal. It is pretty much the older folks that complain about it anyway.

I had this old lady one time with about 1/2 an acre with THICK st augustine grass and she refused to let me use my Z. So I did if for a while with the 36 and it was a major PITA cause the wb didnt like that thick grass. When she wasnt home I would sneak the z and be done with it in half the time and it looked beautiful. She called me on it, paid me for it, then I quit cause she told me I couldnt use my Z.

Only problem we run into sometimes is with these new cookie cutter communities, the houses are so close you cannot get a 48z between them. A few communities are soooo tight you cannot get a 36 wb between them. However, those are the exception, not the norm.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my Gravely 260z on the commercial, and the Wright Stander on the residentials.
  5. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

No one ever seems to care here in NC what you use or how fast you use it, as long as the lawn looks good.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--my question is how will you utilize the speed to your advantage on the small residentials?

I am thinking two guys with WB is the way to go on smaller props.

GEO :)
  7. justanotherlawnguy

just by the shear size of the machine, thats how you can save time. you do not have to be driving full speed tearing up turf with a bigger machine.

I just got a 60 z this year, and I thought my 48 was fast on small properties!

With small properties, its more efficient if one guy mows and the other guy does everythin else. I have found that on pretty much all residentials, this works out best. By the time I am done mowing, he has already trimmed, edged, and blown everything off.

2wb =bad idea. unless that is what your area demands. only you know that
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hmmm...hey man...I know you are justanotherlawnguy, but let's check the math on this problem......:

the givens are: small properties...1/4 acre and the mowers must mow about the same speed to keep from damaging residential turf

now lets do the math:

1 (one) rider/stand on mower times a 60 inch cut path = a 60 inch cut path.

2 (two) wb's times 48 inch cut path = a 96 inch cut path (not accounting for a 2-4 inch overlap).

I know I am not a very smart guy but even counting on my toes and fingers I know a 96 inch cut path is wider than a 60 inch cut path.

glad I could help.

GEO :dizzy:
  9. justanotherlawnguy

GEOGUN, your an idiot.

Thats not the point of the post, but thanks for the math lesson.
  10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had a complaint in the last three seasons. I use my Dixie chopper on pretty much everything. Just use your judgment on what mower you want to use on that account.