Rider Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenboy25, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Greenboy25

Greenboy25 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

First I'll give you a quick background. I am a one man operation. Been in business 8 years. Went from me to me and 2 guys back down to me for the last 3 years. I have used 36" commercial walkbehind mowers from day 1 and they have worked great. But i am sick of walking, especially in South Carolina summers.

I have looked at the Exmark Phazer and the Scag Z-Cat in person and the Gravely PM 34z online. Phazer didn't impress me and the Gravely dealer is a joke here. So now I am thinking of the Scag Z-Cat 36". Part of the reason I am thinking of going with this mower is the fact that I should still be able to park it on my trailer in place of one of my 36" walkbehinds and still have room for one. Plus I should be able to work my properties effectively. Its either that or buy a new trailer, find a place keep a larger trailer (my trailer backs into a 10x20 storage unit) and think of going BIG ZTR. But I think I want to keep it simple.

What do you think?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why have you been walking all these years? There are a multitude of riding attachments including the Velke from Wright and Bull Rider from Jungle Jims that attach to the back of a walkbehind.

I'm not a fan of small riders. There are a bunch of hydro walks that are every bit as productive as the small riders that I would look at. In fact I think Gravely has a 36" hydro walk that does 7 mph and Dixie Chopper is getting ready to release a 34" RunBehind with built in sulky that does 8 mph. The small riders are awful on hills and just generally all around not a good choice in my opinion.

3. Greenboy25

Greenboy25 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have had a velke in the past and put it to good use. You still take a beating hanging on while trying to make good ground time with mowing speed. I live on the coast and there are no hills here. A few of the mowers I looked at seemed like glorified residential mowers but was leaning towards the Scag which seemed to look like a scaled down version of their bigger riders.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Have you tried a Proslide? You won't feel many bumps with one of those and they won't tire you out for that very reason.

Richard Martin - The Gravely hydro walk-behinds go 8.5 mph, I have one, and it's nice to be able to go that fast when conditions allow you to.

5. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Checkout the Bunton Riders I've tested out a few different brands exmark scag and the Bunton seems to be the best built although a little more pricier

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

In another thread a guy said he has the 34Z so he can get in backyards, I assume he was talking about fitting through the gates.

7. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

man after 8 years you deserve a rider!!!

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" 05 Z-Cat. I have one customer that lives on a semi-busy street that the police put one of those big electric speed traps that register your speed. The funny thing is I enjoy clocking myself (speed on mower). Balls out in mowing is only 4mph. Transport speed on street registered the advertised 7mph. On the yard I do 60% of the time I can hammer down before I have to make a turn. It really depends on the landscaping of your accounts whether you will truly get the benefits of a rider. You can take a gander at mine @ www.cutinedge.com If you have any questions just email me. Good Luck!!

9. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you ever have to use a grass catcher, consider the larger Scag. The small ones have an UNpowered catcher on the side of the deck. The larger mowers have a powered fan and the catcher is in the rear.

10. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Greenboy,
    You and me sound alot alike. I used a scag wb for awhile as my sole mower(im also solo) and then got my first z which was a 60" Dixie chopper, which i got rid of(reasons are for another thread, but was still to big anyway), and last October i got a new Scag wildcat 52" which is the perfect size for me, i even coulda went with the 48" but i got a really good deal on the other. I cannot begin to say how happy i am with the wildcat, plus not having to use the wb anymore. You should at least check them out, becuase they are not too small, and not to big, just right, but by what you like and need of course.

I agree with you, that i would much rather sit than stand, been there done that, and standing(even on a velke) tired me out way to much, compared to sitting. Also i was able to add a significant number of more lawns with the z which of course makes me more money.