rider vs walk behind what to buy.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by git-r-done, Dec 12, 2006.

1. git-r-done

git-r-done LawnSite Member

some of my lawns have have long hills but not to steep. one of those lawns take me 2 hours to mow with my troybilt. what am I better off with to increase my productive.:hammerhead:

2. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

What is your budget?

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

size of the properties, terrain, any gates, how many properties

4. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

With a rider you will have more productivity.

5. git-r-done

not to sure about siza acre wise, no gates, terrian not to bad some ruts not to big. $6000 to spend

6. daveintoledo

you should probably look at a good used walk behind with sulky.... if your just starting, i would wait on a more expensive purchase, you dont know the size of the properties so you probably dont have many yet, and a good walk behind would be the most versital for you....

7. git-r-done

not trying to ask stupid ?"s but when you get a new client do you ask what size there lawn is or do you just eyeball it when you get there and what brand do think I look at. Ive got 10 properties not to good on judging them yet.

8. daveintoledo

you can measure with a wheel tape, you will be abel to eye ball after a while, or better yet, go to the county auditors web site, here in ohio all the info is there, just punch in the address or the name of the property owner, and lot size, sale price, taxes and everything else comes up..... even an areal view so you can get a look at the trees and layout of the land...

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Measure with a wheel if you're not sure.

After doing some properties, you'll be able to eyeball some of them. I can do it up to around an acre or so, after that I always get the wheel out.

If you've got 6K, you can get a nice walk-behind, a brand new one even. Don't know much about your properties, but a 36" or 48" would be a good "in between" size. If you go 36", you can look at the Quick 36(they also have a 44" coming out which is another all-around versatile size), it's cheap.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Check out Alamia.com they are a commercial equipment web site. they have lots of name brand equipment and very good prices and free shipping.