Rider vs. walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Since im new to this site i have thought of several questions i would like to get advice on.
    I currently have a 48" wb scag belt drive. I really like it, considering i started my business with a home depot "scotts" riding mower 2 years ago. It was a huge step up to get a scag. The problem is fatigue , and mower deck heigth adjusment. I cant adjust the heigth if the grass is wet from a days worth of rain, unless i want to take about 30 minutes to remove all the screws on each side of the mower. Then its another 30 minutes to put the heigth back to its original position. I can eliminate these problems with a small rider scag or some other brand, but i mow residential lawns typically on the small to medium size. Im not sure if a rider might be to large or heavy. Are there any wb mowers available with easy deck heigth adjusments, and that also eliminate fatigue?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an exmark 36, and can adjust the cutting height by about half an inch in quarter-inch segments with the spacers that come on the blade spindle. Any further changes come with the same kind of gyrations you just described.

What you might need, and what I'm gonna get next time, is a walk-behind with a floating deck. Incidentally, you might want to consider a hydro drive unit as well. Word is they pull better and don't slip in wet weather.

Incidentally, your 48 Scag should be hefty enough to pull a sulky or a velky. Those critters run as much as $350, but on e-bay, you can nail down a Proslide for about $140.

I personally love the idea of a zero rider, but my route has way too much sloped work to even consider it at this point. I also have misgivings about sitting on my duff all day, given how achy-breaky the lower back can get. In the final crush of things, I will probably almost always opt for the versatility offered by a walk-behind mower, even if they won't go as fast as a zero.

3. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

mark mc,
    I have the velke and i love it. The fatigue comes from steering it and having to work the machine so much, but it does do a nice job. Although it is not recommended in the manufacturers instruction and operation manual, i set that baby in 5th gear in the summer months and im off to the races and it does a fabulous job.
    I was never one to get into all the different brands and gizmos of the equipment end of the business so i must admit im fairly ignorant to alot of the terms i read on here, which leads me to my next question. What is a floating deck? Is that something your able to adjust the heigth on?

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

You need to take a look at a Hustsler walk-behind, You will fall in love with their controls after running a Scag walk-behind with pistol grips.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The New Husquarvana Floating Deck Hydro Walks have the Easiest Height Adjustment of Any Mid Size Walk!

dscf0189.jpg

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Aren't there spacers above and below the front wheel spindles?? That's how to change the hight on all the fixed deck machines I have sen including scag. Where are you moving screws at?
    ON my lesco I use a conbination of the 1/4 inch spacers on the blade spindles and the 1/2 inch spacers on the front wheels to fet the hight I want.

As far as control ease, you can't beat the hustler h-bar.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The ETS (Easy Touch Controls) on the Husquarvana Walks is a Sissified version of ECS....Slightly less Strain but Very Similar & you still have Twin Levers for Twin Hydro Pumps & Wheel Motors!