rider vs wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plowboy81, Mar 6, 2003.

1. plowboy81

plowboy81 LawnSite Member

I have noticed alot of you guys use walk-behinds. What is the advantage of a wb vs. a rider other than the cutting width and the price?
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

HILLS!!You can mow some awful hills with w/b.
  3. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Residential - Many grass types wont support the weight of a rider and tires break or mar the grass, possibly sliding on an incline or grass under an irrigation system can stay moist and be easily marred by lg tires. Some customers dont like the tracks that are left.

Commercial - Accesibility

You may be seeing guys who work for a Co that can buy 2-3 wb's for one rider....the Co owners arent walking, what do they care?

I think most would agree, you need a variety of mowers to fit a variety of landscapes, customers etc.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Versatility, Affordability, Visibility, Stability
    to name a few...
    IMHO, anything upto 52" should be a w/b and sulky and anything bigger should be a ZTR. JMHO, but most yards around here a 52" w/b and 60" ZTR would make a good combination and if you do alot of small ones or gated ones a hydro 36" with sulky would be a nice one to have :D
    here's mine:
    the sulky is hard to spot because of the lighting. I have made a few mod's to it (striping flap, lights, operator controlled discharge chute, debris bag, sulky) and it is due for a paint job sometime too. May not get it this season though :cry:

5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on who you talk to you are likely to get a variety of answers. I prefer Riders from both a productivity and a fatgue standpoint. The machines can also be used to tow or put other attachments on so they can become more versatile.
    Had a chance to buy a 36 W/B but went with a 36 Wright Stander. Same concept if you use a Velke, but takes up less space and is more productive.
  6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

ZTR or W/B both have their certain uses. w/bs are great on steep slopes or hills that you should not dare take your ztr on. on the other hand nothing cuts like my walker.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, same concept except you can step off the velky for the really steep stuff.

I've been fighting that internal war for a while now, Z v/s Stander v/s Surfer v/s WB. But lately I have had a revelation! While gathering info for 2 bids (1 today), I finally ran into a couple of hills that really intimidate me.

One is steep, rough and slopes directly to a big drop off into a creek. When I bid the job, the ground was frozen. Now that it has thawed, I'm realizing the ground is very soft there too.
    The second one I ran into today. A large portion of it is right around 34 degrees. A smaller portion is around 45 degrees and a few spots are right at 50 degrees.
    I tried to imagine myself standing or riding on anything on both of these hills. I just couldn't see it. Talk about pucker factor! The really bad part is that both hills contain a lot of square footage. So the revelation is that for some of us it's very hard to be both productive and versitile without a couple of choices on the trailer.

Anyways, keep me informed about how that stander performs in the field.
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB said it best.

If you can only have one main mower then the WB is going to be the most versatile. Get the largest one you can fit on MOST of your lawns, and get a hydro if you can afford it.
    If you can afford a different machine for each situation and can keep these machines busy..(I can't justify a several thousand $$$ mower sitting on the trailer half the time.) then a ZTR will probably be at least one of those . But I think almost every company has at least one WB (maybe the one they started with?)for those places a ZTR won't work.
  9. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

My wife (who does the work) says she is not going to walk. as in period. (although she does weedeat and the other thing you do with the grass when you are done mowing on foot)

We are hoping to put out a seperate crew this year, that trailer will get one of the 60" ZTR's and probably a 36" or so walk behind, "base model". Primarily because of price.

Al B
  10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Speed,Speed,Speed, most riders go 9 or 10 mph so you are way more productive using a rider. After a few full days using a ztr you can get good enough not to tear up lawns other than an occasional rip. I have been using 60" riders on all my residential lawns for 5 years and have never lost an account due to my equipment. Exmark 60" ztr is the only way to go for me! Good Luck!