1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rider vs ZTR: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whiteboy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. whiteboy

whiteboy LawnSite Member

I just moved and now have to mow a 3.5 acre lawn - fairly flat with few trees or obsticles. Assuming that I buy a rider or ZTR with a 52" deck or larger what is the best decision for the long run:

Riding mower, Say JD190C for 3,000 or JD X340 for 5,000 or a Toro ZTR (Model 74249) for 7,000?

I don't want to spend lots of money and get a piece of crap that breaks down.

What is your advice?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

7 G's sound a little much to spend to maintain 3.5 acres. If you mow mostly strait a ZTR really doesn't help alot. Jet a small John Deere tractor and you'll be fine. 3 acres I wouldn't spend that much Maybe $1,500 to $3,000. You would buy a ZTR because you wanted it not because you needed it if it is flat with not much to mow around.
  3. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

I Would Spend A Little Extra And Buy The X500 w/54" Cut Over The X340.As
    For The JD 190C,It's a JD Sabre Painted Dark Green.Really Is Meant To Compete With The Craftsman,MTD Type Quality.If That Is What You Are
    Looking For,Then At Least Getting Parts For The 190C Will Be Easier.
  4. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

GO look at a 48 inch snapper , I can tell you for a fact that they are a better mower than a john deere. Cub Cadet also makes an excellent rider . John deere lawn tractors NO WAY....