Rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by solaras, Jul 19, 2001.

1. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

When should I start upgrading equipment? We are getting customers at an alarming rate due to our marketing efforts and we our trying to keep times of the service. We would like to be able to average $25 per hour for a service and this is hard to do with just a 32"walkbehind as our largest piece of equipement. My questions are

1. When did "you" make the step and upgrade to a rider with larger deck size?

2. What deck size should I go for?

3. What are estimated times per 1000 sq ft with a rider?

4. Am I out of range with my man hour price target?

5. Is a Velke a better option at this point?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Scott

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i started out with a 48 inch scag walkbehind. i thought that would keep me set for a few years, but the second year cutting lawns, i found myself buying a rider. i ended up getting a new exmark lazer z 60 inch with a 25 hp kohler. i guess getting a rider all depends on what type of yards your mowing. if you have a lot of large lawns with open spaces, it will make you way more productive. if you have a lot of obstacles in your lawns, but large yards, maybe you should consider a 52 inch hydro walk behind.

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

1)As soon as I had enough money to buy better equipment, I did, that includes all things mowers, handheld equipment, tools, etc.

2)Which deck size you should go for really depends on all kinds of things, only you know which size is perfect for you. Most here have a 60".

3)Depends on how hard you work your butt off!

4)You could probably make as much as $35 an hour w/ your 32" WB. I was making as much as $30 an hour w/ my 21" WB Push mower. With a ZTR rider and the right equipment, that wage shold go up even more, not to mention be a lifesaver on those hot days! With my 44" Lazer HP, I try to shoot for $44 an hour. I realize the pay in Florida is pretty low for you guys, but I'm sure you can rake the money in somehow!

5)I personally think a small ZTR is even more maneuverable than a WB w/ a sulky or velkie. If you don't have the money for a ZTR rider, then you should probably buy a velkie or sulky for now and save up for one.

My 2ยข

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

been where you are and unless you are still at home with dad paying the bills,i dont think you really have much choice.
    you have to get a lot more net per hr. to do that in grass mowing you need a machine that can produce work fast, without
    killing your self. good luck looking at ztr s. later now