Riders vs. Walkbehinds...my experience after one season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For my situation with bigger lawns where I can wind my Dixie up, the loss of ground speed would offset the fuel savings. It would take me much longer, especially on a lawn that I have to double cut, at a maximum of 6.75 MPH vs. my Dixie's 15 MPH. So not only would it take me at least twice as long, but I'd probably end up burning more fuel because the mower is running twice as long.

2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

So why not the Vantage Standers instead of the Tracers?

Been thinking about one is why I ask.

3. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get yourself a Ferris and problem solved.

Great thread btw

4. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think making workers use a walk behind is grounds to quit a job... Its not like he is making them walk. What did guys do years ago when there was no riders?

5. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

You won't find a Physician who'll claim walking is bad for the body:nono:,you might be a little stiff and sore in the morning though but that could also indicate your out of shape.
    It would be difficult for me to add up all those miles I've accumulated over the past 10 or plus years walking behind a WB and I'm still going strong,no joint ailments or arthritis nor any surgeries on the scheduling books but has someone mentioned,good topic though.

6. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

scissors!!! its all about the pussification of america plain and simple!!!!

7. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

greyst1 i agree 100% with you ferris is over 1hr away from me and exmark less than 10mins away but im rural...

8. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer walkbehinds. One of my reasons is I could not use a zero turn on most of my properties. I have a few slopes that a zero would fail just on the approach. If I have a employee that says they reuse to run a walkbehind because of the abuse, trimmer and edger time it is for him. Then again, I am somewhat consolidating this year and going solo most of time.
    I have found the maint. is easier on walkbehinds as well.

9. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

biggest engine eXmark offers on whatever mower...I usually pop the engine and put on a bigger one.

2 standard mulch blades or 2x low lift...less drag.

No Bagging.:nono:

doubles.jpg

10. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

I'm sure pro-turf has it figgured out with what he feels is best for his customers yards and his buisiness model. Walk- behinds do a better job I feel and he knows it. Im sure he treats his guys good, just look at his website hes got. Zero turns aren't for everyone either. He's just stating his pro's and cons.