Riders vs. Walkbehinds...my experience after one season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Jan 11, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

The Scag Pro-V is officially no longer in production. Late last year Scag was selling 52" Pro-V's for $4600 and 0% financing!! I believe this deal is still good until all remaining are sold.

On a side note I demoed a Pro-V and loved it. It felt like power steering!! Scag thought this would change the industry. I am very surprised it didnt catch on. It really is effortless to operate, even with one hand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Thanks. I heard there were issues with it, namely leaky seals. had you heard the same?

3. GMLC

Scag had a run of bad or pinched hydro o-ring seals. Updated seals were designed and put into production. The rest are changed under warranty. The only bad problems I heard about the Pro-V were the controls wear out quick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

:dizzy: No, man.....don't say that. I hate to think that Scag--an American company known for making durable machines--made a mower with quick-wearing controls. Oh well, the V-ride is my second choice.

5. GMLC

Thats what I heard here on LS. So I honestly dont know how true it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. GMLC

I would start a thread and ask some owners.

7. thelawnman

thelawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to a dealer yesterday and he said they were not selling them becuase who would buy a walk behind for 7 grand when you can get a stand on mower. I got mine dirty cheap last year and thank god i did because its a amazing mower.

8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Love my old Hustler super walk behind. Wish they would make me a new one. I picked up a low hour one last season. Should be good for several more years. My dealer leaves a lot to be desired, and there aren't many others around. But it sure beats most other WB's in my book.
    Posted via Mobile Device