riding lawn mower solutions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TroyFazio, Sep 24, 2006.

1. TroyFazio

TroyFazio LawnSite Member

I went out side this morning to help my mother in-law with her rider to get it started. it would turn over, but wont start. the battery seem very weak, cause you know how you can tell by the head lights. so at this point i changed that battery, and it still does the same thing, any insite?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the starter may be on the way out. Check all of the wiring connections for corrosion and tightness. If everything checks out then find someone with an amp meter and see how much current the starter is pulling. To see what a good starter pulls check the draw on a mower with a known good starter and then compare that to your "bad" starter. If the bad starter is significantly higher then replace it.

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

The second battery may also be weak. Why don't you check the electrolye with a hydrometer instead of guessing.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

This needs to be moved to the correct forum. "mechanic and repair"

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to point too the obivious ....but does it have fuel

Check the plugs for spark .... remove clean air filter ... spray a shot of carb clean or starter fluid in the carb n see if it will start

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There's your starting troubleshooting guide, do that and ignore everything else for now lol.

Tip:
    When troubleshooting and unsure of the problem, always start by checking, cleaning and replacing the easiest / cheapest parts first.
    So put a new spark plug in it while you're at it, make sure the gap is right.

Oh yes, DO check fuel !!!