1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Riding mower choice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jun 24, 2005.

Which one to get?

1. Snapper rer

4 vote(s)
  2. John Deere L100

15 vote(s)
  1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking of getting a riding mower at the end of this season when the prices are low. Which is worth the money? A snapper rear engine rider around 1500 or a John Deere L100 tractor at home depot for the same price? Has anybody used these mowers and would recomend one of them. What are the pros and cons?
  2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a used WB but not a lawn tractor that is all homeowner equipment dont even waste your time and money on something like that....you can buy a decent wb for that much money.
  3. S man

Like a exmark metro gear drive or a quick 36? Has anybody used a quick 36?
  4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i hate to say this but stay away from quick's b/c it'll be hard to get parts..... whats your options of dealers in your area?

chose a commercial w/b which you can afford, which would be used i'de have to say for your budget.... used is okay, but be sure to know what your getting yourself into... w/new mowers you have warranty, just be sure you have the dealer relationship built up, most good dealers know whats its like to be in business and will provide you a back up mower to use for while your mower is in shop....

for $2k you can get yourself a 36'' w/b exmark viking (hydro, fixed deck) a couple years old, but in good shape...
  5. S man

Yeah quick seems weird the way they operate. The dealers around here sell toro (proline) exmark scag snapper walker everride husquavarna. My dealer that I go to sells only snapper scag and everride. What a scag w/b?
  6. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What about a scag w/b?

scags are great mowers, so are exmark/toro....

but i know where this thread will end up going in a couple of hrs. its like starting a thread about ford vs. chevy or chevy vs. ford..... sure some knuckle heads will cut in w/some smart arse comments about fords and then the guys are gonna cut down chevy....

I chose makes based on customer service and dealership support whether it be a mower or who knows what..... having good reptubable dealer relationship is whats its all about my friend.....
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

both the mower and you deserve each other.
  8. S man

It seems like all the gear w/b fixed deck mowers are all alike. I really am going to be using the snapper rer for light commercial use. I thought snapper built good machines?
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

10. S man

Yeah. I just thought that a snapper rer could have moderate use. I want a RIDING mower whichever it may be. I have walked and now want to get something easy to use. The comercial ztrs are VERY overpriced for my budget. I have to get a truck still. So what are my options?