riding mower vs zero mowers.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Oct 4, 2012.

1. superdog1

superdog1 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Lebanon, PA

2. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

wouldn't that mower be too big. Thought 48" would be the standard.

3. superdog1

Male, from Lebanon, PA

The only way it would be to big is if you only had a bunch of small properties to cut that had gates it didn't fit in. I would rather use 52" on a small yard than a 22" on a big one?

4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

It all depends on what you will/want to be doing.

Just mowing... a Z is choice hands down!

You want to be snow blowing... tilling... pulling trailers etc. an AWS commercial lawn tractor is the ticket. I have both... started with a JD 445 and moved into Zs as the business grew and realized time is money for mowing. I now use both to their full advantage.

Not much money to start with for commercial quality machine but they can be found if you keep looking.

5. superdog1

Male, from Lebanon, PA

We use our mowers for only one task, cutting grass. For blowing, tilling and other things, we have a unit just for that (Kubota B7800). I guess if you wanted to do everything with one machine? then a higher end garden tractor would be ok?

Your efficiency will suffer in all areas, as the small tractor will not do any one job really well. If it were me? I would buy a walk behind or zero turn and focus on one thing, cutting grass. Once I had a year or two of that under my belt and a few extra $$, THEN I would think about buying a unit for tilling and blowing etc. This would allow you to get ahead faster, as by just focusing on grass, you can do one job really well and make $$ a little faster than trying to a bunch of everything. It is just my opinion. It doesn't mean I am right (My wife reminds of this daily!):rolleyes:

6. IXINRGIXI

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

amen to that 3500 is enough to get a good walkbehind mower dont go and get a ZTR for your first mower. walkbehind is better

7. IXINRGIXI

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

52" is standard cause its only 4" more then 48" and they get the job done fast and you should really but the one on that criaglist link they posted.

8. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Keep saving your money until u can afford a good commercial ztr