riding mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eddy13, Jul 7, 2003.

1. eddy13

eddy13 LawnSite Member

I am about to buy a riding mower at Sears or Lowe's...I need to know your opinions on the best brand... I'm leaning towards Sears but thought I would ask...The brands they have either have a Kohler or a Briggs and Stratton engine.I think it's craftsman. Lowe's has Bowlins and Cub Cadet. Any feedback would be great...
    -Ed

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Is this for commercial use? You arent going to get much positive response about homeowner type mowers here on lawnsite, but I started out with an MTD, 42" 17.5 hp, and my father still uses it. I used it for at least a season, and it still runs as strong as ever, not even as much as changing a belt. Wal-Mart special, cost like $900, plus $200 for the bagger.

3. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I started out with a rider and push mower and brought in over 400 a month after i got started. I said screw this rider and got a commercial walk. So now I finnish my yards quicker and i also can compete with the big boys.

People will take your prices more seriously if you have nice equipment.

4. eddy13

eddy13 LawnSite Member

this is just for residential...I am using an MTD 42" 17.5 HP as of now but it is pretty ragged out...It cuts great but I have to jump it off to start it and it looks old...(It was free) But now I am upgrading and it has to be from Sears or Lowes so I can charge it and get a warranty. I had a warranty on my weedeater at Sears and took it in to their service dept. They took it right in , no hassle,were very helpful. Lowe's offers the same deal but I do not know how dependable their service dept. is....I figure I can get one of the big boy mowers at the start of next season.
    -Ed

5. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Most of those places like Sears and Lowes won't give you a warranty if they know it is being used commercially. Maybe the ones around your area don't care, but most do.

6. maurader

maurader LawnSite Member

I was in this same position a month and a half ago. This forum is great for information about commercial equipment and I found a forum that is great for residential mowers. They have a lot of information about Craftsman mowers along with mowers from Home Depot and Lowes. I weighed all of my options before buying a Ferris ZTR. Good luck with your search.

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

for the price of a sears rider you can get the exmark Lazer Z CT
    you won't last in my area with a tractor or a regular rider.but im sure in other towns and what not you can do real well with a sears rider.good luck

8. eddy13

eddy13 LawnSite Member

thanks maurader...where did you get the ferris ZTR?
    -Ed

9. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

eddie check out pops ferry sales n sevice on pops ferry road.
    they carry exmark. and exmark has financing if your credits good.
    maybe look and see if they have any used equipment.
    terrys service center on gov by oakpark elementery is a scag dealer.thes also a place on howard ave called c&s supply i think.
    yes youll pay around 6000.00 for these mowers but you can finance em.odds are you wont be happy with the ones from lowes.i looked at the huskivarna ztr at lowes today and the deck was to thin and it had no commercial warrenty it was still 3999.00 also .the exmark i have really surpasses all my expectations.there is nothing it wont mulch to a powder:limbs,sticks,live oak leaves,magnolia leaves,etc.
    check into the exmark 48 metro walk behind with a sulky(platform with wheels)
    still run ya around 4000.00 but man are these things fast!you get done so much quiker.

good luck bro!

10. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Can I get your dealer's number?
    Mine wants $4995 for the 48 incher, and the Crapsman 25 horse 42 inch is $1799. So by my math, I could almost buy three Craftsmen. If I am wrong, please correct me. Or better still sell me the Exmark 44 incher for $2000!!