Riding Mowers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by legendrider, Aug 2, 2004.

1. legendrider

legendrider LawnSite Member

I am hoping someon can answer this question I am confused. I see alot of guys in the residential end of the business using riding machines with very large decks to cut small res. properties wouldnt a 36 or a 48 walk behind be much more effective?

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Probably, but they sure wouldnt look as cool.

3. EmeraldHills03

EmeraldHills03 LawnSite Member

Actually a ride on mower will increase productivity compaired to a smaller walk behind mower. The bigger deck decreases time it takes to cut it and also ride ons are a lot quicker machines. They also leave a better cut for appearence. But yes some yards may be to small for, lets say, a 60" deck.

4. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I agree with what was said. But also consider the weight of the mower....riders(much heavier) will leave ruts in a nice plush lawn after a season. Something to thing about when mowing nice sodded lawns.

5. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

You also need to look at how flat the residental lawns are and how many obstacles, like fences their are. Using a combination of mowers gives the best results.