Riding Or Standing (sulke)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelson279, Mar 10, 2003.

1. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

I need some feedback! THANK SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME......

This is the dilema. I do residential lawn cutting. Some of this accounts are pretty big. This year I need to buy another mower so now I have an opportunity to buy a Hydro 52" walk behind (comes with a sulky)or a 52" rider(sitting on it). The two are brand new...

The rider is bigger, probably faster and of course more expensive; I would say about $4000 more than the walk behind even though made by the same manufacturer.

Questions:
    1)Does a rider really justify the extra cost for what it can do? If so why?

2) What are the advantages and disavantages between a rider and a hydro walk behind? (comes with sulky so no walking).

2)What can you tell me about maintenance cost between the two?

3)Which one do you think will be braking down more frequently? (under same use conditions and operator)

3)Do you feel that a rider is really cutting down on fatigue of the
    operator?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
    A LOT BLESSINGS THIS SEASON.............

> Nelson Villa.
    > Care More Landscaping

2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the average size of the lawns you take care of. If they're small; less than 12,000 sq. ft. or so .I don't think I could justify buying a rider. But if you've got a lot of big properties then I'd go and buy the rider.

3. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I have both and use my WB with a sulky for the small stuff or tight places. If you have alot of open cutting and will be working all day than definitely go with a rider. It takes alot more out of you to stand all day. You also will have a much better cut on a rider in bigger lawns because you will cut straighter lines and your hands won't cramp either from holding controls all day. As far as the maintenance, a rider will hold up longer because a WB used the same amount of hours is used harder because they are not built as heavy as a rider. I know alot of you guys might be using WB for all your accounts and not to say they are bad or you can't cut as well but I have several riders and 2 WB and I use my riders for all accounts and the WB for fenced yards, small areas or tight places. You can cut your time also by using a rider for they are quicker. A rider is just more practical for everyday use unless you don't have alot of accounts or you just can't afford a rider. This is only my opinion and experience.

4. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Go to the post BOBCAT 61" WB here and read why they are selling theirs. Everyone would much rather sit than stand.

5. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I do all the work by myself so I was thinking a rider will cut down on fatigue and cut cutting time too....
    I would say that about 60% of my acc can be service with a 52" inch deck except the backyards. In some of them I still have to get out the 36" because of the gates.

Most of this big acc can take about 45 minutes with the 36".
    (Including trimming, blowing)

Thanks for your time

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Do yourself a favor, demo the rider for a whole day, at least. Unless you have smoother open lawns, the rider fatigue you just as much as the WB/velky, because your whole body will be bounced around, not just your legs. Also, on most lawns under an acre, the WB/velky will actually be faster anyway.........
    OH, I'm just like you, solo, and all lawns are under 1 acre. Last, for many people the WB bothers your legs (which you can strengthen by exercise) and a rider kills your back (which you can't fix).... take your pick..............
    Finally, make sure the information you listen to about riders is coming the same type of person as yourself, IOW, a sole guy that does a lot of mowing, "AND", AND, has used the rider for many years and can offer a realistic view of mowing, not those that are 25 years old have used the rider for like just 3 years.
    Pete

7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

If you're mostly on residential then I'd have to say get a stand on. They take up a lot less room too.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing to do is demo both of these units on the properties that you mow. I personally don’t find a sulky all that tiring to use but that is just me.

Gravely_Man

9. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

going to have to agree with Gravely_Man on this one

10. sir_stripes_alot

sir_stripes_alot LawnSite Member

Where did you come up with this cr@p at, did you just now pull it out of your butt or what? Totally untrue. On a larger lawn a walk behind and sulky go straighter without having to concentrate on keeping the controls the same. It automatically does it. The cut quality is the same. Any half ***** w/b like Scag, eXmark, Toro, Hustler, etc. will hold up just as well as a rider. Where did you get brainwashed at...????......

I'm not saying a w/b is for everything and I would rather be using a rider than a w/b on larger lawns but your info is still untrue.
    Go back to class kid.