riding or walk behind?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by puregreen345, Dec 21, 2005.

1. puregreen345

puregreen345 LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a mower for suburban residential lawns but also want to possibly start mowing commercial lawns in the near future. Would a riding lawn mower with a deck size of 48'' or a walk behind mower with a deck size of 36''-48'' work better for this type of work? thanks for your advice

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Most all of us started with a walkbehind.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

A WB allows you more versitility. You can walk or ride, using a velky. Also, the average "mowing" time for a residential 1/2 acre is only about 12 minutes. 3/4 acre is in the 18 minute range. The point is, rider won't show much advantage on smaller properties, because of the limited mowing time and the WB with velky won't tire you, for the same reason.
    With a good WB/velky, you can trim with the WB, and mow at the same speed as a rider, which will actually make the job shorter than using just a rider.

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

1st mower i picked up was a 48'' WB that was close to 20yrs old and i got it for under 500 bucks....i would say start out with the 36 or 48 walkbehind...