Riding reel mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poipuyardcrew, Apr 27, 2008.

1. poipuyardcrew

poipuyardcrew LawnSite Member

I'm taking too much time with my seashore, bermuda, and zoysia grasses. I use a tru cut P20. I'm looking to purchase a riding mower with reel blades. Any suggestions? These yards are 1/2 acre to 3/4 acre. There are some homes being built right now on 1 acre lots.

2. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Try calling around the many golf courses you have over there. A lot of equipment that courses have is leased. After their lease is up they get new stuff. You could maybe buy a reel mower that is only 3-4 years old that has been taken care of. Also, how expensive is it really to live in Hawaii? My wife and I would like to move there but hear stories about how hard it is to make a living there. We would like to live on Maui or Kauai. I have a horticulture degree and she is a certified midwife. With these types of jobs would we be able to afford the cost of living? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Mahalo.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

You can check with the local golf courses but you will find that leased equipment, at lease turnover, goes back to the leasing company for re-sale unless the course decides to keep any of the units.
    Your least expensive way to acquire a riding reel mower is a National mower.
    They come in various sizes from 68" to 84", consist of belt driven reels so no messy hydraulics, and will cut that C4 turfgrass very well - particularly at heights around 1.5" or higher.
    The reels are built very heavy, only have a rear roller so the only draw back is a potential scalping issue with severely undulating terrain.
    A good used one should be in the $3K to $6K range due to size.
    However shipping will be costly.

4. poipuyardcrew

poipuyardcrew LawnSite Member

Thats a good idea, I'm going to hit up the golf courses with some questions and my 7 iron. Hawaii is expensive. I'm on Kauai. Maui has the highest prices. Regular Gas was 3.87 today. 3 Bedroom homes go for about 700K. You can get a house for about 550K at the cheapest. I had a house in Washington for 300K it was a three bedroom and it was 10x nicer than any of the homes here. Yes things are expensive but, there is a lot of work here. Oh and by the way its fricken beautiful here. Good luck with everything you guys. If you ever make it down here PM me or look me up in the phone book. Poipu Yard Crew, LLC.