1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

riding spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenjack, Apr 5, 2006.

1. greenjack

greenjack LawnSite Member
    from MI

Does anybody use the Permagreen Ultra ride-on spreader/sprayer? Its the one you stand up on as you ride. They sell it at Lesco. If you do have one of these, how do you like and do you have any problems with it? Does it work well on any size lawns? Is it worth investing in one? Thanks in advance.
  2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

greenjack, i see you're new to this site, welcome.
    if you do a search (top of the page...see where it says SEARCH? just type in permagreen and you'll get plenty to read)

happy searching
  3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

The PG unit gets ripped in this forum on a regular basis and while it's true that the older models had some flaws, the latest version is reliable and very easy to learn to use. It's great for all but the smaller yards and you'll be amazed at the productivity.
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have the PG Magnum and have just over 100 hrs on it, I use it on all my lawn 5000k to 5 AC and have had no problems. I'm very happy with it!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

get the perma green magnum u will love it
  6. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

My second year with the Magnum. No problems. I was worried when I read all the comments on the older PG but they seemed to have gotten then Magnum right.
  7. greenjack

greenjack LawnSite Member
    from MI

Thanks for the advice. I am just a little worried about laying out $5700 + 800 for the rack on something I dont know much about. It sounds like a good machine and investment, coming from everything I hear about it. Thanks
  8. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The Ultra is a good machine. It's easy to fix, has 1 belt, foot brake and the pump is east to get to. You can check permagreen's web site and look at the used Ultra's if you want to save a little money. I've bought 2 used and have had gook luck with them.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a used ultra from a guy on PG web site for a GREAT price and it had 75hrs on it. i have 200hrs on it now and only replaced the belt (PM only). i looked at the owners manual on line and priced just about every peice on the unit from the factory, and found that whatever broke i could just about replace the entire unit, minus the engine and transmission for under $500!! the engine you can get after market for about $200, the trans was a little high, i think it was about $400.. but compaired to a hydro pump, that is a drop in the bucket. i average 100k + per hr with mine (more or less, just depends were i park my truck)
  10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

one more thing, if you get the PG, take off that STUPID bag on the transmission. i sprayed mine with rubberized under coating.