Rigging a headlight to WB ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by viking427, Oct 8, 2007.

1. viking427

viking427 LawnSite Member
    from SE USA

Anyone know how to rig some sort of headlight (12vdc, 110vac, 220vac etc.) to a 21" push mower ? Sounds silly I know, but due to scheduling requests, I'll be mowing some small yards into the early evenings here in Florida for another month or so when the sun will be setting by 6:00pm. As far as I can tell, on the Kaw FJ180V, I should be able to just tap off the low side of the the ignition coil (about 200vac) for a power source. Light would probably flicker to engine/magneto speed, but I'm just looking for something functional, not pretty. I'd prefer to stay away from any type of battery powered flashlights, bycycle lights etc. for simplicity/maintenance reasons and I'd hate to have to trade for a heavy electric start WB just to get a 12vdc power source.

2. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

I have never understood why people put lights on mowers..... You will be able to see to mow, but will you be able to see to edge and blow?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You will never get enough current to run a light off the ignition coil, even if you did it would likely make engine performance suffer and burn up the coil. The light would also do more then flicker with engine RPM, it would actually turn on and off no matter what speed your engine was running. Your best bet would be a headlamp (Similar to one a cave explorer would use) or a small deep cycle sealed lead acid battery (Similar to those found in a battery backup for a computer).