1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"rigging" a hover mower...need your advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 9, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Picked up the new Husq hover mower yesterday. Yes I know some of you think they are worthless. Have one property that has 50 degree banks which is why I got it. Lets not get into the discussion on their ability to cut. We aren't looking for a mower-like quality cut...just need to cut these banks without spending hours with a trimmer. Would really like to hear from any of you who have rigged up a rope or other method to lower it and then move side to side and then raise it up a few feet and continue to do the same until the top of the slope is reached.

Husq is right now not making the smaller one so I had to get the larger one which is bigger than I would prefer. I forget the size and weight.

I am not a Handy Smurf but heres all I;ve come up with so far. I think I need some fairly heavy rope and something that I can get a good grip on..nylon might be too slippery to hold. Also, I;m thinking I'll need to tie it off in 2 places on the handles and then run it up and join the ends somehow where I hold it. I wish the handle bars 'locked' in a set position but they dont unless I modify it somehow .

Your tips/advice are much appreciated....thanks
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

How long is the face of the slope-from top to bottom? You can either put half the distance in rope on the handle necessitating a walk across the middle. Or, to stay on the top and walk back and forth, add more rope.
    What I have done and used in the past is good quality docking line tied to each side of the handle.
    You do not want the handle locked in to place-it should float.
    I have used a great deal of flymos over the years and have found the riope tied to each side of the handle works best.
    When I stored the machine after work, I shock chorded the line to the handle.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I would think 5/16"-3/8" tree climber's rope and carabiners on the handles would work well, too. When your done, unclip the rope from the handles and store it away til next week.It would suck to have a knot come loose and lose the mower down the bank. Let me know how you like that mower, we have been thinking of buying a hover mower for some hilly banks we currently line trim each week.
  4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I hope it works good for you. Please follow up with another post if you like it better than a string trimmer.
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks guys...I promise the first week I use it I will post back here. I am guesstimating I will cut at least an hour off this job with this machine.....I sure hope so because if I dont, I;m going to have to not renew it next year. Its a $1500 a month account that I;ve had for 4 years but I just can't take hand trimming those slopes any longer. As some of you know, sometimes there is just not enough money in the world to keep an account that beats you up every week. Actually I worry more about nerve damge in my hand or arm having to have a trimmer running for the better part of 2 hours at a time. I cant get the young guys to work this account so the old man has to do it...I gotta believe this hover mower will work...we'll see...thanks again