Rigging large rocks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by diginahole, Sep 9, 2001.

1. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

I have a job starting later this week placing 2 tractor trailer loads of boulders. After the rocks are off loaded I like to hang them from a chain so we can rotate them in the air while placing them. If anyone uses a method like this do you have a simple rig set up for this? We just use a chain wrapped around the rock right now but need a faster way to rig 90 to 100 rocks. If possible remember a picture is worth a thousand words.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We use forks or a spade bucket but if your looking for the best way use this from Probst [​IMG]

3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Why you can't pick them up yourself?

LOL:

4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I use a couple of nylon straps and then hook them to a chain with a swivel hook. The straps grab the rock easy and fast and when hooked onto a swivel hook you can spin them as needed.

5. diginahole

Dan,
    Do you know where I can get a hold of a couple of slings.

6. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

attached is a sling detail - we usually use the heavy slings (with sleave protectors - because the rocks screw up the sling)

use a crane if possible - it costs about 125 per hour - but if you have the right rocks- can certainly make time over a excavator

sling88.jpg

7. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

I just noticed your from Port - You can use the slings I have - Im up in Sunderland just north of you
    705-357-3874

8. diginahole

ianc,
    Thanks for the offer, I think I may have found a lead on purchasing a few slings of my own today but If it falls through I will be sure to give you a call. The rocks I'll be using are Wiarton armour stone, so it will be fairly tough on the nylon, I'd rather cut up my own than yours.
    Using the set up you show do you need to get under the rocks or does it grab tight enough from the lower sides?

9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Blair

I got some you can use. Already scuffed up from rock call me and we will get together. I have also used step clamps on that type of rock if the shapes are right. Also works well.

10. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

You can also use an excavator with a thumb attachment - quick for unloading the trailer and installing - is it a shore wall you are doing!

the detail requires the slings to go under the rocks - when the rock is placed one end of the straps are disconncted and then the crane - pulls the straps out - if you get sleeves put on the straps it will prolong thier life

attached the slings in action

0620_022.jpg