Right Equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by qcontrol23, May 30, 2008.

1. qcontrol23

qcontrol23 LawnSite Member

Im just getting into the business and have recently purchased a Simplicity ZT 16 44" deck, push mower, weed eater, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and trailer. The Simplicity doesnt have a bagger or stripe kit on it. Do i need the bagger and stripe kit before i can start work?? The bagger alone is $1000 dollars unless you know something i dont?

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need a bagger or stripe kit. Discharge and mulching is actually better for the lawn.

If you want to spring for the striping kit, by all means do, but it's not "needed" per say.

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i think you mean a walk behind?don't you?44"is a big push mower.i also think mulching is good for a lawn,it puts nutrients back in the soil.

4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

There are others in this business with a lot less, look at freshprince, all he has is a 21" push mower and whipper snipper

5. Hansen Lawns

Hansen Lawns LawnSite Member

I think he meant he has that 44" ZT (zero turn) and a push mower...

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

NO, Now go out there and make us proud............

7. qcontrol23

How can i find out if my Simplicity ZT 16 44" is a mulching mower or not??

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

If the mower shoots clippings out to the side, you are discharging. If the clippings get chopped up, and left under the mower, you are mulching.

If the clipping end up in a bag, you are bagging.

9. bigmacdaddy

bigmacdaddy LawnSite Member

I would add an edger b4 worrying about striping or bagging...good edge work can make neighbors take notice

10. qcontrol23

So if my mower has a chute on the side im discharging not mulching??