Right hand or Left hand throttle?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Oct 19, 2005.

?

Right hand or Left hand throttle on BP blower?

1. Right hand throttle

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Left hand throttle

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I decided on the Red Max EB 7001 blower. I will go to order it at the dealer tomorrow. I do have one last question though, which is better, a right hand or left hand throttle? Is one more durable than the other? Right now I think I'm going to get the right hand throttle, since I like having one hand free, but I wanted to hear from you guys first. I do want to make sure the right hand throttle would be durable, before I buy. Thanks in advance!

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

ITS nice to have a free hand to pick up or pull back a branch. I dont see the need to have to use both hands on a back pack blower. Now some one may have an idea that makes sense and I might have a change of mind lol

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, anyone else?

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have both and I like the right hand throttle better.Like Grass Cuttin fool said it gives you the other hand free to pick up sticks or anything else that you may need to do.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is a 'tube mount throttle' as well. I have seen the leftie throttles but I have no idea WHY anyone would like that set-up better??? Makes no sence to me when your right hand needs to be moving the tube and generally there's always a handle on it, why would you NOT want your throttle there too? Having my left hand free is nice, I can hold a handheld bower with it while running the backpack! LOL!

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I like the right hand throttle.

7. JTW

JTW LawnSite Member

Right hand throttle.... I don't see a point in having to have both of your hands occupied to run a blower. We use Husquavarna blowers so the throttle is on the blower tube.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have had more problems with the left hand trottle mech on my old greenmachine and redmax blowers and no problems with the right hand sys on my sthil br400,s

9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

i've had several eb7000 blowers with right hand throttles and the cruise controls always breaks and the cable for the throttle slips thru the plastic fingers that hold it in the trigger,recently bought 2 new eb8000 with left hand throttles to avoid the breakages. I do prefer the right hand for ease of operation, but i will stay with the left hand for durability.

10. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

I have a Shindaiwa EB 630 and it has the left hand throttle. Your argument that you need your left had free is futile. My throttle does not need my had to keep it actuated. It stays in the position that you set, period. No problems with just setting it and pushing it down or what ever direction out of the way you prefer when you need to use your left hand to perform a task. As far as the right had tube mount throttle, I would hate that. Some times after hours of use my right had may become tired. To add another task to it other than operating the flow of air would increase the fatigue and decrease the time that using it would be comfortable. Also some times I will hold the handle on the tube in different than normal operational positions; in this manner of operation if there was a trigger to actuate I would not be in proper position and am sure it would not be ergonomic. Remember the more things you have to do with one hand the less endurance you will have and the less control because that appendage will be multitasking. I understand that every one likes what they have and like what they are use to, but if any of you used my Shindaiwa you would change your minds and find your self with no rebuttal and rescinding your positions on right or left hand throttle position.