1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Right of way (How do they do it?)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mross350, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mross350

mross350 LawnSite Member

Our company had a chance to bid on spraying a local railroad. They got a price from the company that has done it in the past, and our price. Long story short, we were way to high. How in the world do these companies do this so cheap? The only thing i can think is that they are not pricing the same chemicals. We priced it using hyvar, which i know is not cheap. Surely they aren't using round-up. What esle could they be using to keep it controlled for several months? By the way we are licensed Cat. 6 ROW Any ideas?

Thanks, Marc
    R&M Outdoors LLC
  2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

look at sahara
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

What was your rational for hyvar? did you list alternatives with your bid with corresponding prices?
  4. mross350

mross350 LawnSite Member

Sahara is more expensive than hyvar and does not work as well. Supposively the other company priced hyvar or some kind of sterilant. I don't think they used hyvar or sahara.
  5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Agent Orange
  6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Even if you both used the same stuff they maybe playing with the labor rate to get the bid. Or thinning the product out to cut price.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is prometon (like the brand name Pramitol) any cheaper than Hyvar?
  8. Horizon Lawn

Horizon Lawn LawnSite Member

They probably used spike 80 D this is what the railroads around here have used for years. It kills everything for atleast a year so they wouldnt have to spray but one time so cutting there cost for labor. I have seen spike work for as much as 2 years but you cant put it near anything that you want to live including trees.
  9. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

It also depends who you bid against. We have a Veg, division, and have for years.. Because it something I do alot of, I get better deals on products then you might. There are companies out there that may be crooked, but most times, veg. control contracts come with a guarantee of some sort. Watering down the products sure done help..:laugh:

Heidi J.
  10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Maybe they have some specialized equipment or application methods that reduce their labor.