Right of way mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Potomac Lawns Inc., Nov 26, 2005.

1. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone does any right of way mowing for there state? Maybe bidding on a few in my state.

2. Potomac Lawns Inc.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of right of ways are you considering. Hiways, power lines, pipe lines, etc.?

Hiways are probably the easiest, followed by pipelines. Power lines can be nitemare. Stumps, busted tires, big rocks, ect. Most of the power compay mowers are dualwheel 60+hp 4x4 tractors with caged cabs, pusher blades mounted on front, bushoggs on the back. Hiways r/w usually 4x4 tractors and bat wing bushhogs with long arms on sides for guardrails and banksides. Few, if any, around here use sickle or disk mowers anymore, most use either a typical bushog bladed mower or one of the frail type mowers.

to bid state work must be legit company, LLC, ChapterS, etc. Have Dunns number and registed with the CCR, ( Central Contractors Registry), liability insurance and pay workers comp.

4. Potomac Lawns Inc.

we are looking at highways must use flail mowers though 1 side mount 1 rear on each tractor and a min of 2 tractors

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Does Maryland require the tractor with flail? We bid last year and missed bid by 2 grand. My plan was to use 72"z's
    2 cuts a year 70 miles of freeway and 39 miles of highway. A new tractor with flails run right at 100 g pending the model you are looking at. needing 2 would be way expensive unless you are able to employ them most of the year. one to two months would not be worth the trouble.
    The duns and CCR registration is not all that bad just a couple of hours typing all your different information. The pain is remembering your duns number the next year and going through the files to find it.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

im sure you could find some decent mowing equipment at some state auctions. thats what i would love for if the opp. ever presented itself...

7. sildoc

That is great if you have time to look and go to auctions. However usually the contracts are awarded in late february and early march which leaves you with right at a month (maybe) to get all your equiptment and laborers. Most of the auctions around here happen in fall and winter makes it hard to track down equiptment and get them shipped.

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

then if your not prepared, don't bid on the job, simple enough...

9. sildoc

Hmmmm,
    Thats logicalllllll.
    Duh.... I will bid any thing. If the bid is accepted I am prepared. I know what I need to make money if it means buying 3 billion worth of equipment I will bid it an will make money. Now the bid most likely will not be accepted on a bid I do not have the means readily available and have to purchase all new equipment, but it is still a bid.
    This is a ridiculous post. In no way did I ever say I was not prepared for any bid. So why come back with a idiotic post such as the above?
    I was stating that most auctions where I am located happen in the fall and winter. Most state, county or federal jobs will only give you 30 days to be prepared and running.
    It is one thing to find mowers. It is another to find specific mowers such as 3 point hydraulic flail mowers. Yes I could have a fleet within a month but it will cost me and the party that I am bidding.
    This is my 3d year bidding for highway right of way mowing and expect to get it. In my cost analysis I will be able to mow more with 3 72"z's faster than a tractor with flail mower. Your area might be different. Most z's will mow at 7 mph. That is roughly 2-3 miles per z per hour. In this mowing it is not a finish cut thus no need to mow slow. 3 z's will cost right at 25 g's that is 1/4th the cost of a tractor and flail mower. Cutting at 1 1/2 times the amount of one tractor. Yes hard on a z but z's are easily found and bought.
    Now my previous post asked if flail mowers were required as each state has different requirements as to which equipment is to be used.
    Any ways this is the last post that I will post to this thread as to not offend any one that is wanting to learn anything.

10. most around here use 15 or 20 foot batwings, and you can set up a new 15 foot batwing and 100 horse tractor for under 50k easy.