Right side belt giving me fits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by someshadelawn, Dec 6, 2003.

1. someshadelawn

someshadelawn LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Scag belt driven WB that has gone through 4 belts on the right side this season. It doesn't really wear them out, it just stretches them to the point that the right side won't pull. I've tried treating it with belt dressing, and that seems to help for a little while but it will do it again soon after. Has anyone had this problem? Or perhaps some idea of why it is doing this? Any input would be helpful. I love this machine, it leaves a beautiful line but gets really frustrating having to replace belts or constantly stay on the left brake.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

is there perhaps a belt tensioner that is turned too tight?

3. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

4 belts in one year:confused: Those drive belts should last for more than 700-1000 hours. I'm not sure how many hours you put on in a year but that's a lot of belts. How are your bearings on the drive system, it sounds like something is really putting a lot of pressure on the belts to stretch them like that.

4. someshadelawn

The tensioner's on both sides are set the same, or as close as I can get them actually, so I don't think there is that much difference on the right side. The drive system is still in good shape, I am not sure how many hours I have on the mower, there's no meter, but i would guesstimate less than 700. The mower is a 2002 model. I noticed the other day, that almost all of my turns are to the right, (i am right handed) but surely that wouldn't cause such a problem?!

5. tiedeman

from earth

is the tension on the brake perhaps turned on too tight?

6. tiedeman

from earth

also check to see whether or not the pulleys are aligned.

I would also check the belt size to make sure that its right

7. someshadelawn

Hmmmmm........ I hadn't thought about the brake? If the brakes tensioner were too tight, would it cause it to pull to the right?

8. tiedeman

from earth

yes, it could cause it. If the brake was too tight on the right and not the left it can cause it to pull.

Let me ask you this...does your right hand constantly hurt after use? If it does, than this could be your problem

9. tiedeman

from earth

I have found on the belt driven mowers that we own, every operator is different on the tension for the break. Some like it loose and some like it tight.

10. someshadelawn

My hands don't bother me after use. Unless I have had to fight it all day, if I am out mowing and don't have time/part to change the belt, then my LEFT hand hurts....LOL.