1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Right time of year to start a lawn service?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Charles Jackson III, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Charles Jackson III

Charles Jackson III LawnSite Member
    Male, from Montgomery,AL

I am wondering have you guys ever started to mow in mid summer? Or the spring is the best time to start a lawn service?
  2. KeegansLawnCare

KeegansLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'd start in the spring. That's the best time because most people are already have someone else doing their yard.
  3. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring. As said before. By summer most people already have somebody servicing their lawns. Spring is when the real rush is
  4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

The best time to start is when you have a plan, equipment, reserve funding for 18 months to cover all of your daily living expenses, not business expenses. If you don't have all 3 of the above in place, don't waste your time and money.
    easy-lift guy
  5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Right about now would be a good time to start.
  6. Charles Jackson III

Male, from Montgomery,AL

Well it will have to be next spring, I am working on getting me a truck. I will try to have everything set up the first of the year.
  7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Roll Tide!!!!!!

Spring it the best time to get started.
  8. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

Part time or full time? If you are starting part time and have your stuff together just start whenever. Why not, can't hurt right? Maybe someone is unhappy or has some other work for you to do that they don't want or know how to do themselves... If you are going full bore and starting from scratch full time I would certainly aim for spring time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring, i would start no later than May. You are in Alabama so i would say no later than April. Then again i don't live down there so i don't know when the cutting season starts. I'm starting pretty much in the next couple weeks. A few people I talked to already have someone doing their lawn. I am cutting a few yards now, but only a few. now would be a good time to start. I think it might be a little late, you could always wait til next spring. Save up cash for all mowers and whatever you need this year, and pay for everything with cash next spring so you don't have payments to worry about.
  10. Charles Jackson III

Male, from Montgomery,AL

I work cutting grass for the city of Montgomery. I make $9.35 and hour, I am going to start part time I hope to make the business full time. I did mow lawns in my neighborhood long time ago, I plan on being solo.

I am looking at getting the following tools

Stihl FS90R String Trimmer

Stihl BR500 or BR550 Back Pack Blower

Stihl Hedge Trimmer

Honda 21'' Commerical Mower or Exmark or Toro 30'' Commercial Mower.

I don't have a truck at the moment so I cant start this year. I am trying to build up my credit so I get a Chevy or a Dodge pick up truck.