Right time of year to start a lawn service?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Charles Jackson III, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Charles Jackson III

Charles Jackson III LawnSite Member
    Male, from Montgomery,AL

Yes I have benefits.

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I started in October because that was when I was ready. Here in Texas we have a long mowing season so there was still work to be done...a lot of fall clean-up work and people wanting things to look good for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'm actually very glad I started when I did because it enabled me to have what retailers refer to as a "soft opening"…instead of jumping in full speed in spring, I was able to slowly ease myself into full swing which enabled me to easily make adjustments on all the things that needed adjusting…contracts, presentations, sales process, pricing, trailer organization, advertising, etc.

By the time spring came around, I was much more relaxed, comfortable, confident, organized, and prepared.

If I had waited until spring to start, I'm pretty confident that the numbers for the this year wouldn't look anywhere close to the numbers I'm seeing now.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

This is one of those threads containing a thought process that makes NO sense.

I want to go from McDonalds pay to business owner… In a year!

Flash Gordon style!

You know nothing about the lawn industry, or the city would pay you more.

You know nothing about business.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

work for a while, gain some knowledge and experience.

Maybe go to work for a reputable company, you might have more chance for advancement and better pay.

You will learn more in a company that DOES THIS FOR A LIVING.

State/City workers do it to "save" money for the state (supposedly) they DO NOT do it for profit… it's a whole different ball game.
    The mind set, the pace, the waste.
    You will not get any experience you need hanging around government sloths, punching the clock to collect pay.

Put in your time, learn the job, climb the pay scale.

Right now you are at ROCK Bottom and you are trying to pole vault with no pole.

Right now, at $9 and change an hour… you don't even make a living.

4. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

Dude, what you said is not without merit, but that was MEAN. If the guy wants to get a 21" walk behind, push a handful of lawns, and make ends meet, what's the problem? I started and knew very little about the industry, but I've learned. Quickly too! I earn damn good money for part time work. It puts me through college, and has the added benefit of giving me experience running a small business. There's No need to piss in the guy's Cheerios like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely agree 100% and the Ygritte quote makes it all the more legit for me.

6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Plan in the winter and execute in the spring. You can pick up some customers in the summer. We get a rush of new customers every summer when it hits about 90 deg. I think a lot of the ones that thought lawn mowing sounded like such easy money realize that it isn't and quit :) A lot of the ones we pick up say their guy just quit showing up.

7. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Good equipment list. We run Stihl and love it. The 90 is a very good trimmer. I would shoot for a BR600 backpack blower though if you can swing it. You might want to do some leaf/spring/fall clean ups and you will want the extra power of the 600.

With a 21" or 30" Toro you will have an efficient setup. Don't forget a stick edger unless you are good at edging with a trimmer. I prefer a power edger for most edging.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There is plenty of need to piss in cheerios.

It's sound advice.

He will get PAID, by someone ELSE, to learn how to do it.

Instead of going out, and possibly losing his shirt and his mind, he can spend the requisite time to properly learn.

Don't hurt my feelings, Don't point out that 9 out of ten guys try it this way put them selves so deep in debt thinking the next cool piece of equipment I take a loan out on is gong to make all the difference… Don't tell me the truth, just pay me on the back and tell me how cool Im going to look with my new mower.

Rubbish.

Get paid for on the job training, learn to do it right, make a living and go about things intelligently and prepared.

9. Charles Jackson III

Charles Jackson III LawnSite Member
    Male, from Montgomery,AL

Man you is rude, I been mowing lawns for years but never as a business. So I know what I am doing I am not trying to get rich I just wont to make a living.

10. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

good luck...