Right wheel locking up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SSS 18734, Oct 3, 2006.

1. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I have a slight problem that is making mowing relatively difficult on hills. I have a 34" Gravely walk behind, belt driven with pistol grip controls. I have both pistol grips adjusted to the same tension, but the right drive wheel tends to lock up more easily than the wheel on the left. The wheel slows down to a point, and then just locks up instead of slowing down further. This makes mowing on hills sloping up to the right difficult to do without slowing down considerably. Or when braking down hills, the wheel on the left slows down like it is supposed to, whereas the wheel on the right locks and drags on the ground. This is tearing up turf.

I assume this is a simple adjustment, but I can't figure it out. Both grips are adjusted to the same tension, yet one is locking up more easily. Why is this?

2. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

bump. I'd like to get this fixed before I start mowing again this saturday.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Not familiar with Gravely's...but I am guessing you havent adjusted the brakes. Most belt/gear drive WB's use band brakes on each wheel. Sounds like you have one tighter than the other.

It is tough to get them adjusted just right because if the band or the drum is slightly out of shape it may grab more at one wheel location than another...just gotta find a happy medium.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would assume this as well, there are two adjustments on my Toro belt drives: One is for the forward/reverse traction, the other is for the brakes.

But much like pugs, I am not familiar with gravely's.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well pugs and topsites, Thats the way they are set up and does sound like the right brake rod needs to be backed off a little.

6. overequip

overequip LawnSite Member

I have not used a Gravely in a long time, but check your wheel bearing. Should roll smooth. Usually they will squeel though.

GOOD LUCK!