Rim spinning inside tire

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by eLp, Jun 10, 2008.

1. eLp

eLp LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hi all. First post here, but I hope theres more to come.

Anyway, heres my problem. I have a small 5 HP Craftsman driving sitdown mower, which originally had rubber, inflatable tires (with no tubes). But due to a certain part of terrain on my property, the tires kept coming off of the rim, and putting it on is always a hassle to do or go out and get done.

So I decided to get a new set of rims and solid rubber tires. No air, no flats. But in the same area, rather then the tire being forced off, the rim spins inside of it, and I have to get off and push the mower over the spot it gets stuck at.

So I'm wondering how I can get the rim to stop rotating inside of the tire. The strongest adhesives I can think of are epoxy and gorilla glue, but I'm not even sure if thats the right way to go. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

We use gasket maker, the red stuff to seal off road wheeling tires and rims.

Damn things are always leaking. It is the red stuff that you put on with a little cotton ball looking dobber. Give it a few minutes to set before filling with air.

3. eLp

eLp LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks for the fast reply, but I guess you may have misread. I switched to tires that are now solid rubber, therefore no air in them. But maybe the same stuff will help hold the tire on now and not spin?

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a off the wall idea. How about some long sheet metal screws? Screw the tires to the rims. Do not laugh to much because it does work. I have done it more than once. I even done it on a forklift. The glue may be a better way to go but you can use this as PLAN "B"

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

+1 Put the screws to it!

6. eLp

eLp LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hey guys. Back again. The screw seemed to solved there part of the problem... But now, the stainless steel cotter pins that holds the rim to the axle snapped. So now, the rim is not spinning inside of the tire, the axle is spinning inside of the rim.

Any idea of something stronger or more suitable I could put through to hold the wheels on? Thanks.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You could try roll pins if you knew the size...or a nail..... Just wondering, what kind of terrain are you working on ?

ericg likes this.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look, this stuff happening is a likely warning that you're probably exceeding the physical limitations of the machine...

Now I don't want to talk you out of this but it is possible if you keep trying to make this machine do something it wasn't meant to do that soon you might be looking at a repair involving maybe a lot more than a nail or some screws.

It's one thing with the tire and the rim, but now the rim and the axle, see I think it's trying to tell us something...
    I'm not sure exactly what's next, or if anything else can go wrong but I do sense that if you properly secure the axle and rim and tire assembly that there's not much more cheap stuff left to break. Because once that stuff is solidly 'fixed,' the stress that's been causing these things to break may have no other place to go than down through the axle, and I can't say what comes around the corner but I suspect it could be some critical components...?

It's actually nice they built this machine with cheap parts that break first, that much I suspect is by design.
    Right, so when these parts are bypassed the stress is passed on to the next thing down the line and if it can't handle it, I can't say what's down the line because I don't know, but what happens then?

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

9. eLp

eLp LawnSite Member
    from NY

You have a very good point Topsites, but I'm not trying to tow a trailer with it or anything. And to answer your question, Breez, I'm only working in my backyard. The problem comes about because of the current fencing design I have up, I cannot drive in forward, I have to back the mower in. But, there is about a 1 inch ledge of concrete that the tires have to go up and down on parallel to the tires, but while turning. The turning on this ledge seems to making all of the pressure. So shouldn't this mower hold its own on a 1 inch ledge?

I'm pretty sure the mower is a set RPM motor, but you control speed with the throttle by means of belts, and how much there engaged. I guess I will try some roll pins or a nail, and hopefully a simple belt is next.

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Well, it's not like you have very big tires on your mower, unlike most commercial mowers that would have a 13x650 tire that would bounce over a 1inch sidewalk. What size do you have on there ?
    Plus you only have a 5 hp engine that has to pull you and the machine around so your ground speed is what, 2 or 3 mph ? No momentum. That 1 inch looks like a curb to a commerical rider.
    You might be better off grading up to the top of your concrete pad or trying at an angle, one wheel at a time. Best I can come up with

ericg likes this.