1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ringing for advice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by garth1967, Nov 9, 2006.

1. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i hate to say this but i had somebody ring me today [his origin is from the sub continent]as soon as i heard his voice i thought ,hello here we go .he wants a price on laying turf,or as you guys say sod,he has done all the prep and wants to know the price.i asked all these questions how much turf is there ,blah,blah.he says yeah ,yeah anyway how do you lay turf ,this and that .can you come out .i said i dont need to i know how much turf you have.but how do you lay etc he says.so i cut him down,do you want advice or do you want me to the job.he hums and hahs.do you guys get much of this crap

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I do not but then again i do not get between 50-100 calls a day like you, more like 5-6 a week, i guess Top Sites would say thats a red flag and hang up straight away.:)

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

there is no free advice. when I get a call like this I just say it's a trade secret and you would have to pay me

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Actually a lot of peope advertise that they give free advice, you think they would get a lot of times wasters unless they can talk the person into getting a proffessonal to do the job.

5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

true and time is money