1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rings around small trees?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, May 13, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I know I'm being some what lazy and could probably search a little harder but nonetheless.., I'll ask a question I know has been asked many times.. How is the best way to get a perfect circle cut out around a tree? Do you use a rope or something tied around the base? I know there is a simple way to lay it out. Thanks for everyones help in advance. It's been a long wet day here in Jersey. Time to relax..:sleeping:
  2. jmartin

jmartin LawnSite Member

There are a couple of ways I do it.

One is to tie a piece of twine/rope or whatever loosely around the trunk. Then I measure how far out from the trunk I want the ring to be, cut it, and holding the string tight I circle the tree with my marking paint to form the circle.

The other is to measure how far out I want the ring to be and mark it on four sides with the paint and than just connect the marks I made freehand. It may be a little off, but you can usually eyeball it to make it look right.

Hope this helps...
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

What is the ring for? I am guessing a mulch ring. We make our own using irrigation line and a felt material. They just slip around the tree or pole and we attach the ends and pin down. No need to cut the sod out. If this is what you are talking about, I can send some pics.
  4. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I would appreciate it very much.. Yes a mulch ring..
  5. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

Can u send me some too?
  6. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Your asking for problems if you do not remove the sod

7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Edge it and roundup. Mulch over it. Is there something I am missing here?
    Oh yea, tape measure...
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I just eyeball it and mark it lightly with the edger or my foot, making corrections if needed... Once I got it, I edge it good which defines that, the rest is cake.