rip old faithfull br400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy dan, Aug 4, 2008.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

it finally gave out today after 15 years daily use . it was used when i bought it for 80$! i replaced it with another used br400 i bought 12 yrs ago for 200$(like new condition) . i used mercury quicksilver oil in it. best dino blower never had a single repair except i replaced the straps

2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

i also have a br400 as my primary blower i got it used for 180 and ive had it for 3 years and have only had broblems with the recoil but aside from being alittle under powered compared to todays blowers its a tank

what happened to yours did it lock up

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

it stated running poorly -checked plug and air filter-looked good -checked compression-down to 90psi. my other one has 120 psi. last year it started loosing power and i ran 32/1 mix in it. the extra oil in the mix helped restore compression ... for a while anyway

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

mine is only 3 years old but it still runs great. i hope to get that long or longer out of mine

5. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I love those blowers. I have one that has got to be about 9 years old. I use it as a backup nowadays. I crank it up once in awhile to make sure it is still running. 2nd pull everytime.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

holy crap and that thing spent all those years out in the Florida elements. I got a old 2000 fs85 that has never let me down. I always run stihl oil.

Just think how much that $80 blower made you over the years.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a 400 that is almost 8 years old and still going. These units were bullet proof and the 420 is almost just as good. Wonder if the 600 will go 8 years?

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It should. I have an hour meter hooked up to both of my blowers. I have 160 hours on one. I bought it this past fall. 160 hours may not be alot, but i was allways curious how many hours i could rack up on these. I should have 300 hours on it by the end of this fall.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

and how did you manage this one?

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Might help to clean out the Carbon buildup in the muffler and inlet. Maybe not with it losing compression