Rip Rap coverage

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AWJ Services, Aug 13, 2007.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

How do you figure single rock coverage for a yard of Riprap?

2. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

about 40-50 sq ft.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Rip-rap means different things to different people. In my area it means large boulders that may approach a cubic yard each. You need to clarify the size of the stone you are using.

I remember doing a McDonald's when I was in school. My boss decided it would be best to put river rock down instead of grass to reduce maintenance. He calculated using 1" of depth and priced it based upon that. When the river rock came (1" river rock) he found that he made a rather large error. As the river rock was spread at a 1" depth, it was basically one stone deep which meant that there were huge voids between stones. You could see the weed fabric almost as much as you could see river rock. He had to double the amount of stone. Let me tell you how much it sucks to wheelbarrow stone over other stone. Also, let me tell you that 1" stone is no picnic to rake out as well. All of these problems only get worse as as the stone gets bigger.

I'm guessing that you are talking about something about canon ball sized? Remember to plan for those voids.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Our stone here is Granite.
    The larger peices will be size of basketballs with smallest being the size of baseballs.

The job requires me too do a single layer over the ground on the bank of a Lake damn too curb foot traffic.They do not care about anything growing between the rocks.

The area is about 20 x 100.
    My vendor estimated 80 to 100 tons or 5 tandems.
    I came up with 3 loads.

2000/50 = 40 yards or a litlle over 2 trucks.

I usually give myself a material clause in a job like this but I do like too put a max cost in the contract so as not too suprise the customer.

Thanks guys.