RIP Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Let's not limit ourselves to just ripping off Xerox .... OS X is essentially built on top of BSD and let's not mention their use of KHTML in safari .... :rolleyes: That is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple is well known for riding on the backs of the open source community. While Job's certainly was a great contributor to the computer industry, let's not forget where much of the Apple "innovation" came from.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ROLF .... talk about double standards. Aren't you the one who is always mouthing off about products made in china? Here's a little eye opener for you ... since you apparently have never heard of Foxconn.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/governmen...ourcing-to-even-cheaper-chinese-peasants/9537

I applaud you for your support of Apple .... :clapping: :rolleyes:

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

• Watched part of Transformers last night where Prime got hacked up in the forest; brought a tear to my eye.

[​IMG]

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

OSX is also based on a significant portion of the NeXT Operating system.

5. Foxconn is a Taiwanese company and you'd expect them to have little regard for the lives of Chinese on the mainland. Here is a list of clients. I'd say those suicides are on everybody's hands not just Apple users.

* Apple Inc. (United States)[16]
    * Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
    * Amazon.com (United States)[17]
    * Asus (Taiwan)
    * ASRock (Taiwan)
    * Intel (United States)
    * Cisco (United States)
    * Hewlett-Packard (United States)[18]
    * Dell (United States)
    * Nintendo (Japan)
    * Nokia (Finland)[16]
    * Microsoft (United States)
    * MSI (Taiwan)
    * Motorola (United States)
    * Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[19]
    * Vizio (United States)

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

no Linux dollars to Foxconn - I'm in the clear :)

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you need to tell yourself Mr. Double Standards.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

No thanks to some of you for wrecking a thread that was meant to be a tribute to a smart cookie, not a diatribe about offshore manufacturing. :hammerhead:

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the question is more about what Steve Jobs represented to some people - computers and phones existed long before Apple came to be, and the company is simply not relevant to a lot of folks

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think what he'll be remembered for is bringing communication and mass information to people (like me) that would not have gotten into this cyber-world, at all. Without his visions and ease of an operating system, unlike my NW buddy, Bill Gates, tons of folks would still be using a dial phone.