ripley's believe it or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 28, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

general grounds. i've done quite a few estimates in manalapen, i'm zero for 15. big expensive homes, and aparently tight pocket books. here was one i thought was funny: man calls, he wants a row of arbs across the back fence. he wants 8 footers. i quote him $175 a piece for heavy, full, 8 ft arbs. his face turns white as a sheet. so he says how bout like 5 and a half footers. i say $85 each for 5-6 foot, heavy arbs. he looks sick. he says how bout 4 footers. i say i can do 4 footers for $60 each. and before we go any further, i can't plant seeds. he isn't happy. he says how fast do they grow? i said i've seen a foot and a half in a good year, but that's not typical. he says, "ok bob, no offense, but now i think you don't know what you are talking about. when i lived in my other house, i bought a emerald green arb, in a pot, it was 18 inches tall when i bought it in early spring. by fall,it was 5 and a half feet tall." i told him to call ripley's believe it or not, and high tailed it out of there.

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Its people like that that you can pretty eaisily assume they work for someone else, and dont run a business. If they knew all the expenses that went into a air conditioned office job, I think they would begin to work harder, and realize stuff aint cheap. If were supposed to be makin a livin off of this job, WHY do people thenk we do this stuff free?

3. BMGLandscape

BMGLandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

hey don't you know your not suppose to talk about customer relations on here.its not very professional LOL J/K

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Where does he live? I'll underbid you on the 8' for $115. :p

Don't you know that your not allowed to make a decent living? After all your a dirty landscaper, with no edjumacation. :cool:

5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"Where does he live? I'll underbid you on the 8' for $115"

My cost on 7'-8' Arbs is $110.00 if I pay for them on the spot and $125.00 if I charge them? How can you plant them for $115.00?? My charge for each arb would be $250.00 -312.00 depending on the customer and other parameters of the job,but,$250.00 is minimum with no guarantee.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

zx, where u getting your stuff? you're gettin smoked on the price. i get 8 ft emerald greens, heavy and healthy, for $85.

7. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

Bobby, are you getting your stuff from Landex???

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

9. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

where you getting them from for that price..I have some I need and usually get 8' for about $95..$10 less each would make it worth the 10 minute farther ride to manalapan..

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

p m me, and i'll tell ya.