Ripped Half my Ear off Today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quail Creek LC, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Well the un-thinkable happened today. In our town we have these big yardy containers for yard waste. Well I'm not sure what really happened, but I went to move it with its lid open and it must have been top heavy. Somehow I lost my balance and it fell forward and I fell in toward it. Smacked my head on the top lip of it ripping half my ear off:cry: :cry: . Not a pretty sight. It was still attached and the DR was able to stich it back together. Come to find out, I was about #20 this fall already for the same thing happening to others. So guys, be careful if you have to use these things. I thought that something like this would never happen to me, but it did. Be safe

2. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

Ouch, glad its back on. Do you have a pic of the container that did it? Not wuit sure what your talking about, then again that must mean we dont have em.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

WoW that's freaky. The city provides those don't they? I would be letting them know how dangerous they can be. At least they should help you pay the Dr. bill!

4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Yes the city provides them. A couple of years ago an elderly man fell into one and got hurt pretty bad. I was always how in the heck can they do that. Well I found out first hand. I was talking to a guy tonight about it and he fell into his last night putting leaves into it. Same thing I did, but ge got lucky and only hurt his dignity. The city knows about it and they do have warnings on the top stating not to move them with the lids open. I forgot to mention that It about knocked me out as well:hammerhead: , Damn that hurt. I'm still dreading trying to sleep with it tonight.

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Beer and pain meds.....Ouch !! post pics for us morbid people

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear (no pun intended) about the accident. I am glad you were able to have it stitched back together. When I read this the first thing that came to mind was that you have to stencil MIKE TYSON on the side of that container. Hope you have a speedy recovery, take care.

7. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Picture of the container? Heck no, we want pictures of the ear, before it was stitched!!!

A few years back my wife took a nasty gash out of her foot ATVing in the mountains outside Pittsburg. At the ER the doctor pulled out his digital cam and I snapped pictures as he cleaned, folded, and stitched layers of foot. My wife was less than thrilled with the doc and I!!

Glad you are OK.

deej