Ripped off or a Good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xxsupamario69xx, Apr 28, 2006.

1. xxsupamario69xx

xxsupamario69xx LawnSite Member

I started out working with my friend but not long after decided i should branch off and do my accounts on my own. After acquiring 5 commercial accounts i decided to buy some equipment my friends boss was selling. Being the impulse buyer i am i pretty much decided i was going to buy it before i got there. Stupid thing to do but i did it and learned my lesson. It was a 54'' hydro Walk behind John Deere with a 17 hp Kawasaki engine and a 12x8 dump trailer. The mower only hour meter said 500 hours. I used it once so far this year and have been push mowing the smaller accounts while my "new" mower is in the shop getting maintenance type work done by the way it did run great. I only paid 1200 for the mower and the trailer but this mower was made in 1992. I'm only 18 and just trying to make some extra money for college. I really just need the mower to last me this season. I'm also worried the hour meter on the mower is broke (only used it once i don't think it went up) and it has some un godly amount of hours on it. I know its hard to say over the internet without really seeing it but i just wondered what you guys thought?
  2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

If thats was me I would of made sure the hour meter worked. Let it run for 7 minutes, it only takes 6 minutes for the hour meter to change, if it didn't change chances are i wouldnt buy it.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you only paid 1200 dollars for both the hydro w/b and a dump trailer, I would say you made a decent purchase.
  4. xxsupamario69xx

xxsupamario69xx LawnSite Member

Yeah well I know i wont make another dumb :hammerhead: mistake like that again. I only need it to run through this season then i can afford a new one:)
  5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Thats 30 hours per year which is right if it cut 1 hour per week. But the dump is worth more than that if it works. Paint and clean up the dump you can get 3-4 thousand for it. Then buy better eqpt and a nice 6 by 12 enclosed trailer
  6. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

for both things it sounds allright