ripped off

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by creedua, Jul 18, 2006.

1. creedua

creedua LawnSite Member

just had a brand new stihl blower and redmax trimmer stolen from the back of my truck, while working in an upscale neighborhood. any advice on how to avoid this in the future. i wasnt away from the truck for more than five minutes. being a yearling this really hurts, financially.

2. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I had some equipment stolen this year. It really sucks. I feel your pain. I had insurance with a $500 deducatable, but I still haven't been paid. I had to replace everything right away so I could work the next day.

I have been trying to be more consistant with locking my equipment up with a chain. It's a real pain in the butt. The best advise I can give is to realize you can try to keep everything locked up but if they really want your stuff they will get it anyway.

Good Luck

3. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Standardization, if you keep things locked up and have the dicipline to do it every time you should be o.k.

4. Qreative

Qreative LawnSite Member

I just started out too, haven't had any trouble yet. But I am concerned cause all I have is a pick-up truck and no cover or way to lock my lopper, pruner or hedge trimmer.

I could put it inside the cab of my truck, but I don't want to get the inside dirty. Any suggestions?

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Get trimmer/blower racks on the trailer. I lock up everytime.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

A box that locks will hold smaller tools and lock the large ones down or buy a rack that locks. Personaly I keep the tools I am useing close to me.

7. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

Equipment theft is alot like getting delt a string of terrible hands in poker. It happens to everyone and we all know it. You just have to accept that its part of the job description, call the cops, and tell your buddies to be on the lookout for the equipment. Also, bringing a large german shepard and keeping him in the cab helps.

Also, what are you doing buying new? You need to go for used equipment when just starting.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Enclosed trailer-- lock box on open trailer or back of truck-- truck cap-- cab-- or leave extra stuff at home. but ED had it right Lock it every time and all the time.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A truck cap is 100-200 used, 200-300 new. Doesn't hurt your mpg like an enclosed trailer...
    It does interfere with the sides of the bed (you have to go through the back), but get one you can lock and problem hopefully is fixed.

That's what I'm doing soon, forget the noise, plus it protects your stuff from the weather.

... You guys are making me paranoid. LOL

10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

.40cal glock.