1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ripped up a customers check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Oct 2, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have been running into bad luck with customers lately. Maybe it's because we are starting to do fall clean ups and I hate fall clean ups.

Well, this customer, one that I dropped 2 weeks ago because of his difference in opinion on my prices (basically he complained to me for 30 mins on the phone about how the heck I can charge the prices that I do and its highway robbery) sent me his final payment with a note that says,

"I can see how you take good care, the best care, great care of your customers. You just dump them when they have a problem with YOU."

So I got mad, was thinking of calling him or writing him back, but instead I just took the check and ripped it in half and threw it away. I figured that I don't want to accept a check from an azz like him and also he can have fun trying to balance his bank statements when I haven't cashed the check.
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Dude I would have took the money and run
  3. tiedeman

from earth

ya, I know I should have, but it just bothered me with what he said. I figured that I would be the bigger man by not accepting the money after he insulted me. Because now for the rest of his life he will be wondering when and where I will cash that check.

Plus, the type of person that he is, he would probably try to put a stop on the check just to be an azz
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I know you were making a statement by ripping up his check, but he probably isn't going to see it that way, and now youre not getting paid.

I'm sure your statement was basically "I don't need this jerk or is money!".

But he will probably see it as "Well, I guess my note got to him and he didn't have the heart to cash my check because he knows I'm right!".

Now had you ripped it up in front of him, he'd get the point then.

Oh well, I hear where you're coming from though.
  5. tiedeman

from earth

ya true, I see your point as well. I guess that I was also just proving a point to myself that I don't stand for crap like that.
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time take the money and run like hell. But, if you do have to get rid of it DO NOT rip it up, simply BURN IT.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really, since personal checks become un-cashable after 6 months i believe
  8. tiedeman

from earth

I have noticed lawncare3 that you love fire...LOL
  9. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

I agree, you should have ripped up the check right in front of his eyes. Personally, I would have kept the money and explained that you did in fact take care him, and very well which warrented whatever you were charging him, and when he got a case of the cheap virus, you took care of him again by letting him go:D
  10. tiedeman

from earth

you know what I meant, I didn't mean the rest of his life, it was just a figure of speech