Ripping out 8 junipers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jasonlandscape, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

i have about 8 fairly large juniper i need to pull out. either way i do it shovel pick ax, or truck how much to charge per? 45 bucks? i will probally include racking the area level afterwards.

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a tractor bucket push them forward then drag back. Then pull them out.

$500-$700.

Tim

3. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

well i don't have a tractor but i've ot a cummins, :)

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll have to do a little more then just rake it level afterwards. You'll need topsoil, and seed or sod depending on what they want. In my area I could get $50 per bush ($400) plus $75 for hauling them off and maybe another $150 for filling in the holes with topsoil. So total would be $625. I won't use the tractor or anything that will rut up the yard unless I am going to redo the entire yard as well.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If you have a place to put your truck(pavement) that there isn't a concern about tearing up the ground, then you can use a heavy duty nylon tow strap looped around the base of the plant to tear it out. I've done this numerous times and it works well.

As was said, you'll need topsoil to fill in the holes.

6. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

ok i went to the ladies house and saw the bushes. they are that evergreen type of juniper and they are about 4ft tall by maybe 4 or 5 ft wide....she doesn't want anything in replace. not even fill dirt...i told her 35 bucks a bush, theres 14 of them, so 490...she thought that was way too high and would let me do it for 350.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

USE CHAIN. nylon will stretch and snap back like a rubber band if it breaks....

Wow 350....shes done you a favor of taking herself off the list of potential future clients.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

And if a chain breaks, it will do a lot more damage than a strap. I don't like chains period.

I haven't had a strap break yet. Just need to get a very, very heavy one.

Anyhow, I laugh my ass off when you say she will "let" you do it for 350... LOL, just hand her a shovel and tell her to get to work.

9. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

yeah its kinda crazy but i think i'm gonna do it anyway just to get in the neighborhood and start getting known...i think this lady knows everyone, plus its a huge devlopement of like 1000 homes with a golf course...

its called Willow springs if any one lives in alpharetta.

i think with me and a buddy it would take about 3 hrs, cut them down and pick ax the roots out.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

no...a chain does not stretch and when a chain breaks it just fails, no snap back or anything like that.

You have to be careful with straps, a small nick or tear, and the strap is junk...chains can take a lot more abuse...I guess if straps were really that tough and durable you'd see more of em on cranes, and tow trucks, and in other load bearing situations were they support a load, rather than just holding one down...